1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Looking for another great flake pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by LutzSpearo, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Of the pipes I own, the pipe that smokes flakes the best seems to be my Savinelli Oscar Lucite 315KS. For those not familiar with Savinelli model numbers, its a prince, the bowl dimensions on the inside are 0.78" dia, 1.2" deep. Lately I am preferring VAs/flakes over the other blends I have, so this one pipe is getting too much use. I'd like to add one more pipe to my collection, one that would smoke flakes very well, but one that has a bigger bowl.

I'm considering another Savinelli, maybe one of the bigger 316KS shapes. The one I'm looking at has bowl dimensions of 1.00" dia, 1.31" deep. I wouldn't mind slightly bigger though. I also prefer a bent, as opposed to a straight pipe.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm also curious as to why this shape smokes flakes so well. I usually rub the flake out, so I can't understand it. (Whenever I try folding and stuffing, the outer edges of the flake, the edge against the sides of the bowl, don't burn). Anyway, I would love to hear some opinions on this as well!

Many thanks!

User4408 likes this.

2. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Where are all the PAD enablers? Where are all the flake experts?

3. Tate

Tate Member

If the flake is burning down the center of the bowl and leaving unburned stuff on the sides when you fold and stuff it...

It probably means your packing technique needs some work. Try to fold, then roll the tobacco between your fingers for a bit and loosen it evenly but don't break it apart then stuff it. If that doesn't work, try putting a very thin layer of easy burning tobacco on top of the flake to start the bowl. Make sure you take care at the start to get an even light using the flame around the edges instead of the center.

Once the pipe is going tamp from the outside towards the center.

LutzSpearo likes this.
  4. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Thank you Tate. I'll keep this in mind next time I fold and stuff.

I've never been clear on one thing with fold and stuff... from videos online, it looks like the folded side should be at the top of the bowl, the bitter ends in the bottom (like an upside-down V). Is this correct?

5. Tate

Tate Member

I never really care so much as to pay attention to that. I just fold it, "massage it", and then slide it in. Both ways work for me.

psquared and LutzSpearo like this.
  6. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Ok, thanks, I'll give it a try.

7. Buckshot Two

Buckshot Two Member

Are we still talking about loading a pipe with flake tobacco?? :whis:

Tsulagi44, dBear, jameshenrym and 3 others like this.
  8. Tate

Tate Member

Yeah, but I never said the skills weren't transferable to other parts of life. ;)

Smokey Tom and jwh891 like this.
  9. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

I smoke flakes exclusively and I use the cube cut method. I have tried all the other methods but for my tastes the cube cut works best. I get a nice slow, cool burn and the tobacco tastes great. I would recommend you not buy a flake pipe with an inside diameter larger than 13/16 with .75 even better. I would also suggest getting a Dublin shaped pipe as I have a bunch and they all smoke flakes extremely well. I think a nice group 4 would work well for you. Did you have a price range in mind?

LutzSpearo likes this.
  10. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Thanks for your input! I do have a Sav 920 bent dublin, the only flake I've smoked in it is Mac Baren Navy Flake. I rub it out and it smokes great, although I don't think that is a challenging flake. I'll give it a go tomorrow with FVF, cube-cut like you suggested. Price range is under $200 ideally, although I'm about ready to get in touch with Sasquatch about a BST.

I did just order a Savinelli Virginia 316KS, it should be here in a few days. I've read it can be a challenge to smoke, but once you get it down right, it's sublime. I think I'm up to challenge. Or I'll throw it out the window in a flurry of cuss words.

11. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

Lutz, when you cube cut the FVF, make sure they are fairly small cubes and of course dry it out real well. I cut that flake smaller than any other and I only smoke it in a Dublin. it is the most finicky flake in my cellar but after a lot of trial and error, I have it down nicely.

I don't know if you are an estate pipe buyer but this one looks like it would be a very good flake pipe for a good price. I have a Mastro that is a very good smoker.
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=107728

12. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

Lutz, I had another idea, check your PM, I sent you a message.

13. User4408

User4408 Member

What Ho Lutz!

The German pipe smoker Ralligruftie answers exactly the question you're asking. And he answers it perfectly IMHO in this video. Yes, the video is in German, but you can get the drift. And the visual presentation is excellent.

In a nutshell, he recommends the 121, 315, and 320 shapes. I've also had great luck with the 122, which is a smaller and lighter version of the 121 but still sporting a broad roomy chamber perfect for flakes. My 121 and 316 EX are the best smokers in my collection, and both are perfect for any compressed tobacco including flakes of course.

The Stanwell No. 95 (Flake Pan) is also a mind-blowing flake pipe. The Danes like Winslow produce a lot of specialty shapes just for flakes, all of which are broad-chambered low riding pipes. Unfortunately we don't see any of them over here in the US. If interested you can see a video on it here.

Cheers, Mark

LutzSpearo likes this.
  14. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Great videos (I like that Winslow), thanks for the links. I've only been at this pipe smoking business for a couple of months, so I'm glad to hear I'm not off-base with thinking these shapes smoke flakes well. I understand the 316KS is pretty much on the extreme end of the spectrum, but I look forward to trying to figure it out.

I appreciate other's opinions as well. Cigrmaster recommended I give the dublin a shot. I did this afternoon with my 920KS, and it smoked cube-cut FVF very well. I topped it off with some rubbed out Dunhill Flake to get it going, and only had to relight it once, probably because I was playing with my phone and not paying attention. I'll definitely be exploring this more.

The dublin was a very good smoke, as is the prince. I think the only reasonable thing for me to do is buy a bunch more flakes, and a bunch more pipes, and keep enjoying it!

User4408 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.