1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Looking for recommendations

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by northernsmoke, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. northernsmoke

northernsmoke Member

Not that I don't enjoy my MMs, I'm certain that I'll be in the hobby for a long while and was looking for suggestions for a reasonably priced briar. I know some brands that have been mentioned as popular were Peterson, Savinelli, and Stanwell. I was wondering if anyone might help me narrow down a particular model line from them. As I'm navigating the pages I seem to be somewhat... overwhelmed. I was looking for something along the lines of "636" or "642" type style from the Sav shape chart, with some flexibility. (http://www.laudisi.com/shapechart.cfm). As far as the finish, something with a smooth and a mahogany to cherry sort of finish. Anyone help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

2. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

What is your budget?

3. northernsmoke

northernsmoke Member

Was planning around $100 (+ or -). One I was liking around $140, but looking first for something a bit less. I am new with the PAD thing after all. :cool:

4. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

There are a lot of nice Peterson's in that price range. You will be able to get a nice pipe for a 100 bucks.

5. northernsmoke

northernsmoke Member

Any particular websites to look at with a good selection of Petersons?

6. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

7. dbt13

dbt13 Active Member

smokingpipes.com

8. dbt13

dbt13 Active Member

9. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

In your budget range the Stanwells or Savinelli pipes are really nice. [​IMG]You say more of a smooth red/cherry mahogany finish? This Stanwell over on smokingpipes.com is a sweet pipe for about $90.00.
    Its a nice pipe that grabbed my eye when I saw your description. Any of the pipes you listed as far as name brands have pipes in your range.

northernsmoke likes this.
  10. northernsmoke

northernsmoke Member

Thanks for the pointers fellas. Very close indeed Russle. I believe that one was on my list of considerations as well. Right idea for color and texture. I have pretty simplistic, classic tastes. For my preferences, there is a real inherent elegance and class to a smooth, beautifully finished, classic looking pipe.

Went with a nice classic bent apple.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=118098

Only decision now is to decide what to put in it when it arrives. :puffy:

Buckshot likes this.
  11. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Wonderful choice northernsmoke. As far as tobaccos--well the skies the limit. No matter what tobacco you choose---enjoy that new pipe when it comes.:bing:

12. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Nice choice!

13. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

The best pipes I have seen in that price range are Vintage Hilsons, available at alpascia.com.

14. northernsmoke

northernsmoke Member

Thanks for the suggestion upinsmoke, I'll keep that in mind for when I'm looking for another one. Shouldn't be too long before then if PAD is as serious as they claim on here. ;)

My purchase left NC on its way to the great north this morning. UPS tracking is a wonderful thing. :thu2:

15. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

So many online retailers to peruse! Unless you're getting into a system pipe (Peterson, Savinelli Dry, etc), the different lines will affect shape and finish, and that's primarily an aesthetic thing. Also maybe a standard tenon vs a military mount, but not a big smoking difference there. Go with what you like! Any of the many online retailers can be a decent place to peruse pipes. Pipes and Cigars, SmokingPipes, 4Noggins, Cup-o-Joes, etc etc. Some other decent brands in your range - Sebastien Beo (small, clean French pipes), Neerup (some pretty neat styles for right around $100), Johs, Nording, Chacom, Butz-Choquin...

16. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

If it were me, I'd wait until Monday or Thursday when smokingpipes puts all their new estates on there. You could come away with a really nice pipe and have money leftover for tobacco.

17. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Northernsmoke: PAD is an illusion. There is no such thing. Ask any of my 140+ pipes. (Excuse me for thinking the pipes talk. I have been reading Lewis Carroll according to whom the insects and flowers talk.)

northernsmoke, Tony Malerich and jdto like this.
  18. Waino

Waino Active Member

I have several of these all. Stanwells are always good smokers. We have had 14o Stanwells.

19. northernsmoke

northernsmoke Member

Sounds like I made a good decision! :th1:

Waino likes this.
  20. ampersand

ampersand Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.