Looking for the right one

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Joew, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joew

Joew Member

Ok so I very new at smoking a pipe> I have only been at it 2 weeks so far and I have tried CBW,PA,SWR and CH and I like them all but not sure on the SWR yet. But none of these OTC Tobaccos has quite what I'm looking for so I'm looking at placing my 1st Toby order online. Like alot of people new to smoking a pipe I LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell and actually that is what got me wanting to start. so if anyone has any tips for a newb on the best smelling tobacco that still has great taste could you please let me know. From what I read so far I'm leaning towards Frog Morton across the pond or Bayou but would like to hear some ideas.

Joe

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Unlike a lot of thing today, searching for the right pipe and weed is a life long adventure. There are no short cuts. Everyone has different taste so you may or may not like what is recommended. You chose wisely with your first weed. I suggest that you continue to keep them in rotation while you sample your way down tobacco road. FMatP could be what you are looking for, it certainly will be different from what you are use to so far.

3. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

This really depends on the smells and flavors you like. Frog Morton ATP is a nice sweet English with a decent amount of Latakia. If you ask me, Latakia has a smell of smoked meat, and Frog Morton ATP is a nice gentle introduction to it. It's been heavy in my rotation here lately.

If you want to go further, McClelland also makes a good tin of Latakia goodness called Rose of Latakia. It has a great latakia scent, but also a strong amount of sweet, tangy barbecue sauce (or the ketchup flavor that people say McClelland is known for). My favorite English and one I heartily recommend is GL Pease's Westminster, as it has a great balance of flavors and doesn't overwhelm you with any particular aspect. The July/August 2t2m had a couple of good latakia-friendly blends to try too, Rattray's Red Rapparee and the Presbyterian mixture. Personally I enjoyed the RRR more than the Presby. Check out the forums here for more reviews on those two blends.

I'd also recommend picking up a Virginia or a Virginia/Perique tobacco to get that end of the spectrum. You can't go wrong with Orlik Golden Sliced. It's my go-to Virginia flake.

4. Joew

Joew Member

Thanks for the advice. I Know everyone is different and that I will have to find what it is I Like. I'm just looking for a good place to start because I have no clue what a viginia,latakia or english blend is and I'm hoping to get pointed in the right direction to mainly save money by not buying something that is totally way off what I'm looking for and this will help me alot Thank you

5. ted

ted Member

Been smoking a pipe for 46 years and haven't found the "perfect" blend yet. Have found a bunch that are "on the verge". Thats the fun of it all. I enjoy every tobacco that finds its way to my house, and really enjoy trying them all.

For a new smoker, I'd recommend a small amount of Lanes BCA, and a small amount of their RLP-6. Most online sellers have both. You can/could mix your SWR(?) with the BCA if that fits. You can/could mix RLP-6 with CH for a bit more flavor.. I don't do Latakia...like the flavor, not the smell (not aroma, smell). For Va/Per I'd suggest C&D Bayou Morning, or Bayou Morning Flake. One opinion... ted

6. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Keep in mind that a lot of the tobaccos that are enjoyed here most probably won't smell to good to those around you. Frog Morton for example, taste good and smells delicious (in the tin) but it might not fly with your spouse or non-smokers.

Most of the "good smelling" tobaccos I've tried haven't tasted very good or had very little taste that I enjoyed.

Orlik Golden Sliced, like TS mentioned is a great place to start. It's very tasty and it smells just like good tobacco (to me).

Try some Escudo if you want to see what Perique tobacco adds.

A new favorite of mine is Mac Baren's Acadian Perique. It's got Burleys, Original Cavendish, Dark Fired Kentucky, Orientals and a fair amount of Acadian Perique too. It burns really well straight from the tin and has an outstanding taste (to me).

:thankyou:

7. Joew

Joew Member

Thank you I added them to my list :thankyou:

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

What you need is a tin of Presbyterian.

10. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

All good etailers have sample packs for newbies. Some good etailers are C and D, Smokingpipes.com, pipesandcigars.com but there are many more. It is a search that may take you many years. I have smoked for 40 years and am still searching for "the one". But it's a fun search to go on, there are a lot of different blends to try.

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

a friend of mine, Chuck Goodes once posted that "pipe smoking is an on going voyage of discovery" - and it is. 40+ years on I'm still learning and still discovering. Like everyone else I've made mistakes, bought some real rubbish pipes and some tobaccos I seriously disliked; but that's part of the process of learning.

People can give you ideas, but of course those ideas will natuarally be influenced by the other persons likes and preferences.

Here's my take. It takes skill experience ans spot on tecnique to deal well with a mild tobacco - most new pipe smokers smoke too hard and too fast and end up with tongue bite. I'd say, first off get the strength right and medium strength is probably about right.

Next I'd say spend a bit time thinking about tastes you like generally. Savoury? Sweet? Smoked BBQ? Chocolate black or white? Whisky or rum? etc etc. Once you've worked that out you'll be in quite a good position to make tobacco selections. On the ones that "don't quite work" try asking yourself what they lacked or what put you off them.

Hope this helps,

Gerry

12. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Not for nothing, Joe, but you look a bit young to be smoking.

13. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Like Ted and Falconeer I'm still learning and haven't made up my mind. On occasions I have stuck to one brand until it became too samey. I think that variety is the spice of life so I'm trying any thing that may take my fancy. I quite like aromatics at times an Sasquatch reccommended a couple of good WOL blends that I'm going to try and have on the way. I think it's good to build up a good selection of all sorts and rotate. I used to smoke a lot of Balkan sobranie years ago and was over the heavy smokey aroma but lately got in to some frog Morton and thought the same but then I keep going back to it..... There's just something quiet nice......give anything a go.... Then try some others...

14. Joew

Joew Member

All of you have helped alot. i will take this advice and use it in my search.

Thanks
    Joe

15. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Looks like I'm right there with Ted on taste, a little behind him on experience. (I think I'm at about 46 weeks :velho:)
    Love BCA and use it as a blender also.
    I can not do Latakia :thumbsu:
    I really enjoy the experience including the smell, not necessarily aromatic casings, just good tobacco.

16. Joew

Joew Member

Yeah but I'm so good at it :) And thats my grandson I just like showing him off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.