Lord of the Rings Fans

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by guitarist7242, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarist7242

guitarist7242 Member

My best friend recently ordered the Middle Earth tobaccos from justforhim.com and we were pleasantly surprised. I tried the Longbottom Leaf and was floored by how good it was for a novelty tabacco. It has a nice earthy taste blended with a sweet nuance. I highly recommend this tabacco, it is one of my favorites. Has anyone else tried any other kind of novelty tobaccos from movies, books, etc.?

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I think with time you'll realize that Just For Him's 'Shortcut to Mushrooms' is a favorite of many a piper around here...(not so much as an overall favorite, mind you, but as an aromatic 'favorite'...) mine included. A tasty, 'aro' Lat blend? Yes, please! Good stuff...I have enough ounces put back for a 'rainy day fund of happiness'. The other 'Midle Earth' blends are apparently not too shabby, either.

3. guitarist7242

guitarist7242 Member

Hmmm, I wish I would have known this before I just ordered a 6 ounces from them. Their tabacco is great, but 6.60 shipping is a little steep. My next purchase from that site will definitely have a few "Shortcut to Mushrooms" in it. Do you know of any good tabacco site that does not kill you in sipping?

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

...mmmm....'shortcut to mushrooms' - a friend in the States sent me a sample at Christmas, a pleasant, mild, change - for me, but I certainly will not be spending money on more.
    Cheers OT

5. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

I agree they are good toby's. I think Ruins of Isengard is my favorite. Short Cut ot Mushrooms is good, but a little too sweet for me.

Z

6. atwageman

atwageman Member

That price for shipping is not bad. Sure it might seem bad if all you want is 2oz of tobacco. Most places have free shipping around the $100 mark, but certainly not for small orders unless they are running some sort of special.

I might also add that outside of mailing a letter there are minimums carriers are gonna charge for any type of box regardless of weight. Its a cost of doing business that can't be avoided.....it has to be passed along somewhere.

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I tried the Middle Earth sampler from JFH as well. I love Shortcut to Mushrooms enough that I dedicated a Sas pipe to it. I also ordered bulk of Old Toby and Treebeard.

I believe Frog Morton was inspired by LOR, and there are also plenty of Sherlock Holmes named tobaccos as well. I'm sure others will post a pretty good list when done.

8. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I'm going to have to try out that Shortcut to Mushrooms. I've been a long-time fan of the Frog Morton series, and I get friends of mine into it just by mentioning the Tolkien connection.

9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Goes to show - that a good sales ploy, and an 'evocative' name will sell anything!

10. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Just ordered the Middle Earth sampler for $10. Figure I cant go wrong for $10 even if the packaging is unique. Will post when smoked!

11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I agree with a name giving advantage to an initial sale. If it tasted like crap, I don't think anyone would continue to purchase it though, just because of the name. I didnt' exactly love Longbottom Leaf or Ruins of Isengard, so didn't purchase any more, even though they had cool names.

12. guitarist7242

guitarist7242 Member

Yeah I am a big fan of the Frog Morton series as well. I have smoke Frog Morton On the Town almost the most out of any tobacco. It was the first I ever smoked, and good one to start off on I might add.

13. grga

grga Member

Could someone tell me how much tobacco actually is (in grams) in their "Middle Earth Sampler" for $10.00?

Thank you very much for your answer.

14. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Anduril...
    These aren't "novelty" tobaccos, but good solid blends. I know the owner/blender at JFH. He's a LOTR fan and decided to create a series of house blends with Middle Earth connotations. It wasn't meant to be a gimmick, just a reference to a tale that he enjoyed.

BTW....my favorite is STM.

15. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

My sampler came in the mail yesterday. I got two samplers so I could give one to a fellow LOTR fan. Wow! THey are small packets of toby! Just estimating but I am imagining getting maybe 2 large bowls full from each packet, maybe 3. Will post when I try them. Very cold here in NE Pa. and we're patiently awaiting 50 degree days possibly next week.

16. grga

grga Member

So, it's around 50g (2oz) in that sampler?
    It is better to order 1oz of each for $16.25 in that case.

17. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I also ordered the sampler pack. Thought it was all pretty good but did like the Longbottom leaf the best. I ended up buying a pound of it and don't think I went wrong with it.

The way I understood the man I talked with they blended it all themselves on site. I told him his sales would probably go through the roof with the right packaging. He agreed but said the copyright BS was kind of a touchy thing.

18. guitarist7242

guitarist7242 Member

I didn't necessarily mean "gimmicks." I have tried 3 out of the five and loved every one of them immensely, and Longbottom is so far my favorite tobacco I have ever bought. I have never been disappointed with anything I have bought from JFH. When I said novelties I was just asking if there were other tobaccos named after certain themes such as LOTR like Sherlock Holmes or something like that. I wasn't trying to demean the company or Toby :)

19. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I'm not a good judge of amounts but I doubt its 2 oz. More like an ounce if that.

20. grga

grga Member

It is strange that they actually cheat people on such an obvious way.
    :whistle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.