Love to try perique any advice welcome

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Dunlibi, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunlibi

Dunlibi Member

Love orientals and latakia. Whats aVaPer like, What's a perique like what blend is the best?

2. sarge564

sarge564 Member

to each his own. I can't do Latakia. Was affraid to try Va/per but I did and damn glad of it. A litter peppery in my opinion which I like. Bite the bullet, getcha some.

Dunlibi likes this.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

I think the best way to figure out perique is to get a blend that does NOT have it, and compare it to a similar blend that does (from 1 manufacturer). So a guy could get a virginia flake like McClelland 2010 and compare it to the Va/Per flake, 2015 (or Tudor Castle or one of their other Va/pers).

Perique is interesting - spicy, deep, kind of mushroomy smelling. It adds some punch and zest to otherwise kind of flat/creamy blends.

Escudo (same as Dunhill Navy Rolls), Elizabethan (if you find it), Heinrichs Special Curly (this is GOOD).... there's a hundred good ones.

Dunlibi and Jayson H Bucy like this.
  4. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

It's a completely different kind of spice than Latakia, but odds are if you enjoy straight Va's you'll like VaPer's. Dunbar from Esoterica is about the best I've tried so far, but my experience is limited. Red Carpet from C&D will be a test of your manhood as far as flavour, tastes like pepper and a can of gunpowder went off in a pipe. Grey Havens is a da'gone good Va/Per/Bur and could easily become a daily smoke for me if I wasn't interested in trying other blends. It's got a lot of sweet in it, so it plays a unique harmony to the Perique, really cool.

Dunlibi likes this.
  5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

If you have access to a decent B&M - you could do what I did today, and buy 25grams from their G&H bulk jar, then add spareingly to other stuff (VA's in my case) - and taste the difference. Don't be put off by the pouch smell - IMO it's foul!, but greatly improves an otherwise bland blend.
    OT

Dunlibi likes this.
  6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

A real good smooth vaper that's very easy on the wallet is H&H Anniversary kake. Supposedly 40% perique and the rest some killer smooth and sweet va's.

Then there's all the rest of the vapers (775-ish +\-) :)

Ed
    Puff

Dunlibi and BradNTX like this.
  7. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Sending you a PM.

Ol Brokedik.

Dunlibi likes this.
  8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

H&H Anni Kake is an awesome, figgy, slightly sweet, slightly spicey blend that I can't get enough of. Escudo is very good too, but is more malty to me. There are others I like plenty, but these two are my favorites right now.

Dunlibi likes this.
  9. taharris

taharris Sales Account

Try Escudo. IMHO if you don't like Escudo you don't like VaPers.

Or Rattay's Hal O The Wynd. Just as good as Escudo, but a little stronger.:puffy:

Enjoy,

Todd

Dunlibi likes this.
  10. Jay

Jay Active Member

Hal O The Wynd has perique in it? I did not know. But I love HOTW. I need to buy some more come to think of it.

Dunlibi and HCraven like this.
  11. Jay

Jay Active Member

Peter Stokebye Luxury Bullseye Flake is good and reasonably priced. and it has a chewy moist center

Dunlibi likes this.
  12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

It's funny that it does because I'm not even sure Charles Rattray was aware of the existence of perique when he first made the blend. I know absolutely that it didn't contain any when I used to smoke a lot of it many years ago. My guess is that the only way the new blender could make it taste close to how it did in the early days was to add a smidge of perique. It always was a spicy blend but it was mostly red VA with a dab of other VA's - no perique.

Dunlibi likes this.
  13. dmkerr

GL Pease Telegraph Hill is my new favorite but I don't recommend it to a VaPer newbie. Try his Stratford instead. Or any of the other fine blends mentioned.

Sas' advice about trying the two McClelland bulks is good. That will show you just what the perique is doing.

Dunlibi likes this.
  14. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Ill agree with Jay PS LBF is a great one to start on, it was my start in the world of VaPers and I've never looked back since.

Dunlibi likes this.
  15. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

After you get started with it try some Cool hand Fluke...That stuff is crazy good.

Dunlibi and Macion Grey like this.
  16. Dunlibi

Dunlibi Member

Thanks for all the opinions, Special thanks to OBD (Randall)
    Most of the tobaccos are only available in America and the postage charges really don't make it an option to me unless I buy a ton.
    Dunhills Navy Rolls seems the best available option and I've ordered some.
    Great Forum, smashingly great members.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  17. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Great advice!

Ol Brokedik.

Dunlibi likes this.
  18. Dunlibi

Dunlibi Member

Just found a UK dealer of Hal of the Wynd.
    Had to order 100gms.
    Done so.
    Hope I like it lol.
    Thanks Todd and OBD

19. dmkerr

If you don't, it makes great trade bait. It's highly desirable by a lot of folks. So it's doubtful that you've wasted your money.

20. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Yeah, Escudo is like the Johnny Walker Black Label of Perique. If you don't like it, chances you won't like Perique.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.