1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

M. Sorensen Pipe (Norway)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dwaugh, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I was trying to find some information on this pipe, which I think was bought in the 60's or 70's for my Uncle. This link has what I have tracked down so far. http://vulcanitestem.blogspot.com/2011/04/pipe-identification.html I think the head is supposed to be Edvard Grieg (anyone agree? have a better guess? maybe its not a "real" person? There are photos of the pipe and Edvard at my link. I was wondering if anyone has seen one of these pipes before? I don't think its rare or valuable.... I sent the link to the pipe store in Norway hoping they may have some insight.

Here is a photo of the pipe (not that I can get an image to show up in a forum post....) Thanks, David
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. telltime

telltime Active Member

In profile, my first reaction was Samuel Clemens... then from the front my first reaction was William Shakespeare. I looked again and came to the conclusion that I have no idea.

I propose the POSSIBILITY that it's no one we'd know. There were carvers who used to do portrait pipes. You could send them a picture and they'd carve a pipe to that likeness.

Actually, the meerschaum carvers of today will still do this. E-mail them a photo and they'll send you a pipe with your face on it (and after checking my mug in the mirror, that's a pretty scary thought!).

3. dwaugh

I didn't think about Shakespeare; Clemens and Einstein came to mind too. I found Greig by trying to google famous people from Norway and it seems to fit as well as anyone... Your right though, it could be no one.... -David

4. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Greig would make sense. The Norwegians put music as a high priority.

If you ever want to sell it, let me know. Being a classically trained musician, I would love to have a "musical" pipe.

5. dwaugh

Jim, I emailed the store that sold it, they misunderstood the question and just said that they they don't have it anymore, it may have been a language thing. I sent a reply asking again if they think it could be Greig, still waiting for a response. The pipe is yours, no charge, PM your address and I will send it to you. -David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.