1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac Baren 7 Seas Royal...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by bubbagump, Dec 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I'm on a bit of an aromatic kick lately. I picked up a tin of this and 7 Seas Regular from Smoking Pipes. I thought I'd post up a little review.

Taste- From the start of the bowl right through to the end, the flavor was very consistent.
    Room/car/tin note - :drly:. It was sweet, though not too sweet. It reminded me of Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream.

Damp or dry- It seemed fairly damp in the tin. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to dry it out prior to smoking (I just loaded up a cob and went for it).

Bite or no bite- No tongue bite.

Smoking- It was a nice/smooth smoke. It had a good amount of black cavendish, but it didn't make for a blah smoking experience. i.e. To me...many blends that are heavy in black cavendish have a one dimensional flavor and have what I'll call a "pow!!! Right to the kisser!" taste to them. i.e. 7 Seas Regular (to me...it's better than Captain Black Regular/White...but it makes for a heavy/unsatisfying smoke).

Cost- I went with a 100g tin. Even for a tin, the price was very reasonable. This 100g tin was about the same amount of money as the 50g tins that I'm accustomed to (i.e. Escudo). However, this stuff is dirt cheap if you buy it in bulk form, which I intend to do next time. For ~$4, you can tack a couple ounces onto your next TAD order.

2. cmatsangos

cmatsangos Member

7 Seas white, like all of MB tobaccos seems to have a little to much burley for my likings. I generally get that stiff bitterish taste throughout my smoke with all the MB range. I guess I'm not a burley kind of guy.

3. bubbagump

Yup. I'm not a fan of burley unless there's something to disguise the flavor a bit.

cmatsangos likes this.
  4. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

I've got the seven seas gold and I wasn't too impressed. I thought the aromatic qualities were nice, but there is something off to it and I think it is the pg. I've had it for a long time and it has never really dried out despite remaining in the tin.

enigmaticbriar likes this.
  5. esteban

esteban Active Member

have some 1 year cellared 7 seas Regular and it is to my liking (and I admire the price)

p120d16y and bubbagump like this.
  6. cmatsangos

cmatsangos Member

Exactly bubbagump! Unfortunately MB doesn't disguise it enough for my liking.

7. bubbagump

I got a couple ounces of that too (bulk). It smelled alright in the bag. I'm curious to see how it smokes.

8. Eric Pierson

I get a Carmel type taste from it. Also a bit of nuttiness from the burley.

p120d16y likes this.
  9. bubbagump

The other thing I have to do is try the Mac Baren Regular in a cob. For me, some blends that don't do well in a briar pipe can work well in a cob.

p120d16y and Eric Pierson like this.
  10. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

If you do decide to buy more, send me a PM; I have a bunch of Royal and Regular I'd like to trade. I like them, but not enough to keep as much as I have cellared.

11. bubbagump

Will do. Thank you. :toast:

12. Eric Pierson

I rarely smoke any of my aros in my briar pipes. If its not in one of my meers its in my cob. Something about how those materials work with toppings that I like.

bubbagump likes this.
  13. bubbagump

Ok. I mixed up some of this stuff with CH. About 60% 7 Seas Royal to 40% CH. Not bad.

I've put on 600+ miles on the car in the past couple of days and have been smoking that blend exclusively. I might bump the CH down to 30% to make it a bit sweeter.

We'll see. I've about torn through to better part of the ounce I mixed up. I mixed the CH into it in an attempt to add some nicotine to the mix

14. Eric Pierson

Carter hall is probably the best blender there is with an aromatic. I need to get another tub. I would have never smoked my tub of CBW if it wasn't for a tub of cater hall.

15. bubbagump

Yup. I've got the better part of a tub of that stuff that I'll have to cut with CH too.

Eric Pierson likes this.
  16. bubbagump

I'd like something stronger (nicotene wise) to mix in with this stuff. Any ideas on a VaPer + Aro parfait? I mixed up all of my assorted VaPers into one large '?' quart mason jar. As those tend to be peppy...I could try mixing that stuff in with some. I REALLY like VaPers, it's just that they tend to be pretty toxic from a car or room note perspective.

I've also got SWRA, which I guess I could consider mixing in.

17. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

Anything from C&D would bump it up; Bayou Morning if you want a straight VaPer, Old Joe Krantz if you can settle for VaBurPer and want lots of N.

bubbagump likes this.
  18. bubbagump

I've got C&D Kickin' Chicken, Kajun Kake, and Five O' Clock Shadow in the cellar. I've got some KC in the car though (that stuff is about the highest nicotene content that I've smoked). I think I'll mix up a bowl of that with the CH/MBR mixture and see how it goes on the way home. Maybe that mixture will cut down the VaPer toxicity, lol. Thank you. :toast:

Edit: That Old Joe Krantz blend sounds like it would be good. I'll have to put some of that on my next TAD order. Thanks for the recommendation.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=66071

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.