Mac Baren caves to Antis

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mike Pomery, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

A new tin of Navy Flake arrived today, and I was most dissapointed to see the tin's new design.

The label is pushed up and squished into the top 2/3 of the tin, while a big, permanent white box takes up the rest of the surface. Painted on, mind you, like the rest of the label. Since you guys in the states don't require mega huge warning stickers, there was a sticker telling you to go to their website for more information on their products.

With most other countries, though, there would be a bold SMOKING KILLS or other type sticker in its place. The problem I have with this is the label being permanently changed/cheapened just to accomodate warning stickers.

Mac Baren dropped the ball on this one. Why tarnish your image so as to more easily apply anti-smoking propaganda. That would be as bad as Johnny Walker permanently adding a white text field so the state can write in each years road toll.

2. Paul

Paul Member

were they required to do this somehow? seems weird

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

It's required labelling if MacB wishes to sell leaf in the countries that require the labels.

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Puff is correct.

Sometime in the 90's I think is when the necessity for the California warning came about... the one that says "this product is known by the state of California to cause a slow, painful death for the smoker and all who know him" or something like that.

EVERY tin from every blending house that went to the U.S had this warning on it, just in case that tin ended up in CA where the warning was required. So the thousands and thousands of tins that were sold and smoked in the other 49 states had the good old California warning label. Better safe than sorry.

So it's not "caving in" - it's making a living. It does take away most of the aesthetic quality of the tin, though, doesn't it?

5. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

You guys aren't seeing the point of my rant. The white text field is painted onto the box. Permanent, like the label itself.

It isn't just a sticker like all other brands. So you take the sticker off, there is still a big, ugly white box left.

6. ichabod

ichabod Member

I like this one better:

[​IMG]

7. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I recently discovered Navy Flake and like it! I have a tin froma few years ago that is still sealed and just acquired 4 new tins. 2 of which have been recently been sent abroad to a member here. I too noticed the new giant white spot for the sticker. I proptly removed the sticker and wrote the date of purchase on it with a permanent marker! How convenient!!!!

Macion Grey likes this.
  8. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Yeah, I don't see the issue here. It's part of the business they are in. Maybe you'd prefer they didn't make space for the label and not sell it all?

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I ain't in it for the tin art. I too lament the BS that comes with the times we live in, but you just hafta deal, y'know?

10. Redone

Redone Member

I never thought about the sticker or tin...I justs smoke it..yum!

11. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

This annoys me to no end; particularly as I live in one of said countries that demand warning labels on tobacco products. Fortunately, most of the warning stickers end up on the back-side of the tin, just overly large Canada Tax stamps on the front tin art.

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

When will it end ! Rational people need to start getting pissed about everything I think ... or it'll just get worse

BradNTX and ichabod like this.
  13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I collect flat tins and am making a sort of "window box" to display them on my wall. The ones with these ugly stickers don't make the cut. But the various governments are only trying to protect us from this evil weed! We should be grateful! I'm going to show my gratitude by firing up another bowl.

14. jhe888

jhe888 Member

It is just too expensive to have different tins for different places. So they make one tin that can be sold, with the appropriate warning anywhere. I can't blame MacBaren for that.

15. ichabod

ichabod Member

I like tin art and I will try and hold on to some tins just to have. Maybe when/if tobacco is completely illegal I can show them to grandkids if I ever have them. If not and it swings back around and people loosen up and let people decide what they want to do on their own these warning labels will be silly to my grandkids.

I think the laws are ridiculous personally, with so much shoved down the throats of everyone adding a big ugly warning label to a product isn't going to do any more good. It is annoying, it is over kill, but I have no power to change it...it's a law and they have to comply with it. That said, I am glad that I live here where the top of our tins do not have these warnings, they are on the back. I also get annoyed with the giant warning stickers on the sun visors in cars...there's warning labels everywhere...perhaps they are so large and bold on the packages to protect them from a lawsuit also, since everyone seems to be sue-happy, a person can easily say that they have never read/heard/known that smoking was bad for you, but if it's right there on the package that they bought then they can't claim it.

16. Marc

Marc Active Member

It ain't nothing but a thing... if it disturbs you, use your computer and make new labels for your tins!

17. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

In canada there's pictures of dead babies, gum disease, lung cancer.... it's amazing. We dont even see the labels anymore.

18. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Dead babies ... you're kiddin .. right ? Dear God thats ... man , I dont even have words for that

19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Nope. It's about 50/50 here between the brand on the label and the govt warning, and they put stickers on the back of tins with all kinds of gory stuff on it, to scare people off of smoking.

20. CBR

CBR Member

I remember a few years back the labels in Canada (of cigarettes) had a smoked cigarette with the ash still on but drooping down, the text was something along the lines of "smoking causes erectile dysfunction". I'm not sure what's worse, dead babies or a limp bizkit....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.