Mac Baren Club Blend

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Stormy, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stormy

Stormy Member

Having a lot of trouble keeping C.B. lit and burning. Tried rubbing it out and also folded and stuffed some coins. Dried or straight from the jar. not much luck.
    Any insight into the proper handling of this would be greatly appreciated.

Old Codger and dwaugh like this.

2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I can't offer any advice as I can't keep anything lit. But, I did get some Club Blend today that I'm about to try. I'll report back, for what its worth:D

Stormy likes this.
  3. Stormy

Stormy Member

Thanks dwaugh. It's worth a lot.

dwaugh likes this.
  4. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

Have you tried it in more than one pipe? I find it smokes best rubbed out then rolled in a ball and smoked in a wide but short bowled pot.

Stormy likes this.
  5. Stormy

Stormy Member

Thanks Shiloh, I'll give that a try.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Okay. Something I know about!

Club is wetter than it feels - these coins are like a dense flake, and even though they feel dry, a little drying time doesn't hurt.

Get your biggest pipe, and just take about 4 coins, break them up in your hand - I literally just make a fist a couple times. Dump this pile into the pipe and tamp real gentle. Light it up, and it will take a bit of flame. Then tamp again once it's charred, and maybe refresh the light. Then it should go for awhile.

This is a freaky good blend - spicey edges, marshmallow sweetness.... yummy. Better to have a few re-lights than to smoke it hot. Hot, it will bite and you get no flavor. But if it's just barely lit, I swear, sometimes the flavor is overwhelmingly intense.

dwaugh, Old Codger and Stormy like this.
  7. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

The term "gravity fill" comes to mind...

Stormy likes this.
  8. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

What Sasquatch said. A few people brought up this tobacco here so I tried it and now it's a constant on the shelf.. Took a couple of attempts before the tobacco was actually dry enough. Now I just empty the tin in to a jar so that there's twice as much air by volume as tobacco and after a few days it smokes easily. Two pipes dedicated to it now.

dwaugh and Stormy like this.
  9. Stormy

Stormy Member

Yall know your stuff. It is working better now.
    THANKS All.

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

When I first smoked Club I was bored stiff, really disappointed. But as I got better at smoking it, and started understanding what it offered... by the end of the tin I was totally converted. It's not all I smoke, but I'm certainly never without it.

Mington, TedVig and Stormy like this.
  11. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I just popped open a tin of it I've had around for a while. I love it. My new fave for sure.

Mington and Old Codger like this.
  12. tbonetto

tbonetto New Member

I've also found that it does require some drying out.....

TedVig likes this.
  13. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I don't dry it much, but do char it a couple of times to get started. Sometimes I will use Todd's fill method and then sometimes leave the coins whole. A larger bowl does work better either way. If I stack 2 - 3 coins ill break up 1 more to put on top for lighting.

Thanks to Todd for encouraging this blend- I cellar deep on it.

Old Codger and Mington like this.
  14. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I was gifted some of this recently...turns out that in spite of Todd's high praise....this stuff is good! It was bone dry when I got my sample...smoked near to perfect. I smoke mid-sized pipes, no pots in the rotation, so two coins crumbled and canon-balled seems to work best. This one is on my "list".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.