Mac Baren Latakia blend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Skrymr, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Any fans? I picked some up today based on a few descriptions here. I'm saving it for my POY, and I'm just wondering what kind of tobacco it is. A flake? It is described as a spun tobacco, and I am not sure what that means.

2. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

A roll cake tobacco, spun by carefully matured Virginia and Cavendish tobaccos with a light taste of Latakia, bringing about a wonderful aroma.

Well that's the ad hype anyway.Elsewhere it says it's curly cut.........then on down it says it's a chip style flake.

I'll probably never know first hand.......just not a Latakia fan.If I were I'd move to the foothills of Cali and inhale.

Ron

3. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Yeah, that's what I am confused about.. LOL I'm picturing medallions of cake style tobacco...

I know I could open the tin, but I want to wait until the right time.

4. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

If you want some exquisite medallions look no farther than Davidoff Flake Medallions.Probably my favorite baccy period.

Ron

Skrymr likes this.
  5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've not had that one, but the Mac B HH Vintage Syrian is really good.

Skrymr likes this.
  6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I have a thread about it , but it seems not many people smoke it because of the morons on TR . The thing is it has barely any Latakia in it , so when a guy reviews it on TR , he's usually pissed that it wasnt a Latakia type English blend . It's my Favorite blend made ... it is exquisite , in that it is a complex medium bodied blend . Anytime I smoke it I just wanna space out to where I here the long beep and the guy saying ... if this had been an actual emergency ... then I usually come to

They have it here with a description ...
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mac-baren/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=1185

Thuber88, Jussto and Skrymr like this.
  7. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

I'm not necessarily looking for a particular shape, just a particular flavor. The gentleman at Iwan Riess tried to help me out, but they didn't have any of his suggested blend. Hamborger Veermeister.

8. ruffinogold

The cut is a disc like many other discs out there ... Escudo , PS LBF etc ...

Thuber88 and Skrymr like this.
  9. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Basically what I am looking for is Two Friends English chocolate without the Latakia. Or a barely detectable Lat presence. It was you're description that made me look for the MacBaren Latakia Blend today.

YAPPG likes this.
  10. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

I tried a sample of Two Friends choc and I never tasted the lat in it. I'm a big lat head so that's what I wanted. some little taste, anyway.

Skrymr likes this.
  11. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Two Friends English chocolate is probably my favorite tobacco so far. But I'm not a big enough fan of Lat to want it all the time. I do get a "just right" amount of Latakia in it. I also notice quite a bit more Lat in Middleton's Walnut than I have seen described by other's.

YAPPG likes this.
  12. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Hell I might like it if the lat is barely detectable......I do love me some Habana Daydream and it has an undetectable smidgen.

Ron

Skrymr and YAPPG like this.
  13. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Barely detectable would be grossly overstating the power of the latakia in it. :xd:

I broke out a jar of Latakia Blend that I jarred up about 3 years ago. I bought some expecting a regular english blend and I was surprised in a not so good way. I jarred it up and put it away. Recent talk on here made me go dig it out and try it again.

If you take it for what it is I have to say it is among the best of the MB blends. Smoke it slow and it is very sweet with some of that MacB honey toast flavor going on. So far I have not had any tongue bite issues and I do get bit with some of their blends. It is an interesting and enjoyable smoke.

I can't pick up on the latakia at all. A good description is a nice MacB virginia twist aged in the same building they store bales of latakia. It has about that much influence on the blend. If you are averse to latakia don't even worry about it. You won't have a problem with this blend.

MikeInMaine, Thuber88 and Skrymr like this.
  14. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

How does it compare to Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake? I'm just starting to appreciate this one since I started smoking it in my Kaywoodie.

15. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Well, they are both tobacco...

Thuber88, Skrymr and JRobert like this.
  16. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

While I really like LBF it just doesn't have the richness of DFM.The Davidoff blend is also more complex......the tin aroma alone makes it worth trying.

Ron

Skrymr likes this.
  17. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Thanks, I will have to add that to the TAD list....

18. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

I do like this, but I think they bought one leaf of latakia and split it up into 1,000 tins. ;-) I can't taste it at all. Had a bowl this morning in my favorite little bent GBD and it IS good, but if you're looking for latakia, well, keep looking!

19. ruffinogold

It's a bit more intense than LBF . In that I mean it has higher high notes and lower low notes in the flavor . I would imagine if you like LBF you'd probably like Lataka Blend ... it's a bit stronger but not super strong or anything like that

Skrymr and Thuber88 like this.
  20. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

So, I tried a bowl of this last night. I just couldn't wait, and I wanted to see if I could taste the Lat in it. I could. It isn't a bomb like my other lat blends, but it is there for me. Over all a good blend for me. Not so heavy on the lat that I can't taste anything else. It's a smoky flavor with a hint of virginia. I must just be able to taste any amount of Lat in a blend. I get quite a bit out of Walnut as well. I will be smoking this in my meer's.

Thuber88 and ruffinogold like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.