1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Macarthur's corn cob

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Dutchking22, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I want to make a MacArthur sized corn cob. The internet has been no help so far. Can you guys help me with the demensions on his pipe...plesase? Thanks

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Hmm. Well, there's a zillion photos of him smoking them- you should be able to find some pretty easily on Google and then try to go from there. Otherwise I'm sure some of the folks around here have a MM MacArthur and one of them might be able to tell you the dimensions of that.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You actually want to make one, like for the heck of it, or you just want one? Picking up a MM Mac would be easier, and likely more successful. You will need one heck of a cob just to attempt this, methinks.

4. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Agree with Yin (don't believe I just said that!)...the cobs available to you would burn up rather quickly...MM has a special strain of corn for their cob pipes. Even they have a limited number of cobs large enough for the Mac....so production is somewhat limited for them too.

5. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

DK22, you should try it! What's the worst that could happen? It's true it would be easier to buy one, and not too expensive.... Other's are spot on on that one! There is another member of this forum (somewhat "off" and possibly not fully medicated) who is trying to make some clay pipes, which are also available for sale, cheap. He has even persuaded some other members on this board to help, beta test, etc. :) So, give it a try, and post photos!! -David

Kiowapipe likes this.
  6. yinyang

Ah, geez, when you put it like that...:)

No one is saying don't...just realize the steps involved. For instance, David spent months researching clay pipes before taking the plunge...:)

And to further dismiss my 'Debbie Downer' mentality, David has credibly reinvented the wheel with clays, so if cobs are your fancy, well, what the hell do I know? Knock yourself out, you may likely suprise yourself, and me! Just make sure it's a labor of love, is all.

7. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Don't listen to David kiddo...he's nuts! He's even got some wacko in Missouri roped into this silly project....

Yeah...go for it. Wasn't trying to talk you out of the project, just pointing out some of the things you'll need to consider...and overcome in the process. Definitely take some photos as it progresses...we're all suckers for purty pikshurs!!!

David...hope the vacation was refreshing...now get home and get to work!!! LOL

8. dwaugh

I didn't know his name was David, but yea, that poor clay guy is running with the wrong crowd. My mama warned me about those types so I stay clear! LOL :rofl:

9. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I want to make a cob. The Macarthur was just an idea. Should i prepair the cob for pipemaking beofre or after I decide to eat the corn off the cob? ALso, MY sister may plan to boil the cob, Should I let her?

10. yinyang

MM dries their cobs for two years before working them. The old timey fellows who made their own pipes???...no clue to their methods. It may be uncharted (not impassible) territory.

11. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

all the help on the net said to let them dry for a few days, or toss em in the oven for a few hours at 100-200 degrees (ferienheit sp?) they never say anything about what to do with the cob before you decide it will be a pipe. That is what I need the help with.

12. Juan Pompeii

Juan Pompeii Member

13. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

14. dwaugh

You can cut it in half and boil just one part. Try both ways! Boiling might keep it from cracking when it drys, or turn it into mush, I have no idea

15. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I made one as a teen (God, that was a long time ago!). We had roasting ears for dinner and I took one of the gnawed cobs and hung it in the sun to dry out. A few days later, I cut the cob to size and drilled out the core with a forstner bit in my dad's shop. Then I drilled the draft hole and stuck a reed in the hole...tapered the reed with a pocket knife so it would jam in the hole. It smoked grape leaves pretty good, but as I remember, only lasted a month or so.

Not sure if boiling the cob would be good (remove residual oils etc...) or bad (soften or split the cob). You may also consider drying the cob with kernels in place, then shucking the dried kernels from the cob. This to me, sounds like the best way, but that's just a guess.

So, it looks like some experimenting is in your future, young man! Keep us appraised of your progress.........

16. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

This is all pretty interesting. Fortunately, corn cobs are cheap so you can afford to do some experimentation. Where do you live? Here in Iowa you could get a bushel of seed corn cobs basically for free... if you wait until October.

17. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

18. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I live in California, and we have 5 ears of corn for a buck....... and the corn I had as a tad small so it failed, but that was just one cob out the bunch....got some more to try

19. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Let us know how it goes. It's all worth a try. My best guess is that boiling won't net the best results, though- I'd bet that baking at low temp (~130?) for a long time might work well though. I'm thinking several hours at least. I also wonder about maybe drilling it before drying it... I think when cob season rolls around again I'm going to have to try this too!

20. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

it did not go well the first time, but i am hoping that the second go around is way better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.