MacB Club Blend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I was gifted a sample of this, about two bowl-fulls worth of it, by an esteemed member of PSF. The MacB blends I've smoked thus far were/are very good, straight-forward, and fairly uncomplicated blends... which I why I enjoy them so much. Not much along the lines of nuance, but very enjoyable; relatively simple bowl fulls of contentment.

Then along comes Club Blend. I've smoked a bowl full of it (MM bend Country Gentleman) and I'm not sure what to make of it, other than it is nuanced and it is very good. I can't make up my mind if the tin note is toasted marsh mallows, camp fire, or bar-b-que sauce. The flavor is smokey, and in some ways it reminds me of Latakia but in other ways it does not. The room note sometimes makes me think of leather, but then it makes me think of a camp fire. The sweet, hay-like quality of the Virginnies is there in the background - but so is something else that plays off the VA's.

This has got to be the most interesting and unique blend I have ever smoked, and I need to get me an entire tin to figure this stuff out. However, my initial impression is that it is both outstanding and mysterious.

P.S: Many thanks for the sample, esteemed member.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

"marsh mallows, camp fire, or bar-b-que sauce"

Yes. :D

My first bowls of Club left me feeling the same way - what's this stuff supposed to taste like? It's like toasted marshmallow, but it's spicey.... it's weird. I guess this is a sort of Danish take on a Va/Per or something. Anyway, it took me a whole tin to really get it, and then what happend was that every time I smoked just about anything else I'd wind up thinking "Well, this is all right, but it's not as good as Club", and I still feel that way about damn near everything else.

I slip a bowl of Jubilee or Commonwealth in once in awhile, but basically I smoke Club because it does everything I could ask of a tobacco, and as you say RTO, it's both interesting and mysterious. And just delicious.

The only downside is that my wife hates hates hates it. 3 times she hates!

Kiowapipe likes this.
  3. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

At least she doesn't hate it FOUR times!

4. Brian

Brian Member

Club Blend is probably my favorite tobacco. I bought a pound of it a month or so ago (which is an enormous quantity for my purchasing habits).

I agree with your description: the toasty browning skin on a marshmallow over a camp fire, but not quite smokey like Latakia. The taste of those caramelizing sugars, but not marshmallow-candy sweet. The spicy MacBaren black cavendish, which is not like American sweet vanilla black Cav, but more like a peppery perique ... sort of (punchy but less peppery). Sasquatch calls it a Danish VA/Per, and I think that hits the mark.

They make a couple permutations of this. Club Blend in particular has the black cavendish in the center of every coin slice. Dark Twist is somewhat similar, but only about 1/2 to 1/3 of the coins have the black center. I really need to get another tin of Dark Twist. I bought that when I was brand new to the pipe and didn't like it. But looking back, I don't think I was ready to understand it. My smoking technique wasn't there yet. I am pretty sure I puffed it too fast and lost all the flavor.

5. RTOdhner

"Va/Per(ish)" is one good discriptor. It has a VA-Per/Latakia-like quality to it, and I had to check T/R twice to make sure there wasn't any Perique or Latakia actually in there. (Maybe this is what that fuzzy "Scottish Blend" moniker is all about). I'm not sure what the mad scientists over at MacB are doing, but they seem to have created a unique strain of something or other that sure as heck resembles a Perique/latakia hybrid. As soon as I fnally knock out the rest of that tin of old Dublin and finish off the tin of Solent Mixture I have on order, I'm gonna have to order a tin of Club Blend. It comes in bulk, and my initial though is that I've got to order a pound of Club Blend. However, I really want to order just a tin at first to tray and get my arms around this stuff. This is one I believe I'll cellar just in case anti-smoking terrorists take out the MacB compound and I can't get any more.

6. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

After all the talk of this blend, I was REALLY looking forward to the samples included in our dearly departed box pass. (we know how THAT went!)
    Now I'm gonna have to find some fool friend that will swap a sample of *something* with, in order to see what all the @#*^@ fuss is about.
    Anyone?

7. RTOdhner

I'm thinking I'll order a tin in August. I'll keep you in mind and mail you a goodly sized sample when I get it.

8. Redone

Redone Member

I know club blend is a fav on here and raced out to get a tin. I was left very flat by it. It was just an ok virginia to me and left me wanting more. I like OGS for Virginia fix. I really like dark twist roll cake much better. It has the same virginia taste with more sweetness and BC to me...just sayin.

9. RTOdhner

The "esteemed member" also gifted me a goodly-sized sample of Roll Cake, and that is going to be my final smoke of the day for today. OGS is one of my favorites, and I really renjoy it's clean and simple taste. It was the first flake I tried (well, first one in about 25 years anyway), and I thought it was just wonderful - sublime even.

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Roll Cake is interesting - woodier to my palate, nuttier I guess too.

Redone, Club is in some senses totally ordinary, it doesn't reach out and grab like some tobaccos do. All I can say is the slower you smoke it, and the bigger the pipe you use, the more it seems to shine. But no tobacco can be everyone's favorite. I find OGS flat as cardboard, which makes me a tobacco heretic in most circles! It's all good!

yinyang likes this.
  11. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I am with Redone. I had a generous sample sent here and it was fair. I guess I would give it another try one day though.
    Didn't "wow" me at all.

12. RTOdhner

I was gifted a nice sized sample of Roll Cake, and I'm smoking some right now. While I'm only half-way through my first bowl, I'm gonna say it's a little flat. I've read some reviews that say it's similar to Club Blend, but I'm not seeing it other than both "flakes" are shaped like little coins, both have VA's and Cavendish, and both are made by MacB. Other than that, I don't think they have anything in common. The Club Blend really hooked me, but not so the Roll Cake. I need to dig into a full tin to really get a feel for this, but I'm not in any hurry to do so because I find Roll Cake to be kind of flat. It's not quite flat as cardboard, but it's not much deeper either.

13. Redone

Redone Member

Goes to show one mans tobacco is another mans..err..ummm...whatever. OGS is good but I'm not crazy about it. The only flake so far that I'm nuts about is McB NF and Erinmore , Escudo is good too. The diff between club and DRC is slight but DRC has a sweeter note due to a better amount of BC and I think honey?

Brian likes this.
  14. Albert

Albert Active Member

I have a tin of both Roll Cake and Club Blend too, and I find myself not wanting to smoke the roll cake and always wanting to smoke the club blend. I do find them to be very similar, I just enjoy the club blend much more.

15. RTOdhner

Another guy saying they are comparable. I didn't get the similarity, so I wonder if there was an issue with the particular tin that the sample of Roll Cake came from. I'm gonna have to do some more experiementation and research. Work, work, work, work, work..... it's exhausting! :bing:

16. Albert

Albert Active Member

I guess I find them similar in that toasted honey top dressing, but they do differ in the underlying smoke flavor and aftertaste... Sas hit it on the head RC is woodier, nuttier... I havent taken it to the extent you have RTO, where as I havent sat and had bowls side by side of them both, just one or the other when I feel like it. Keep up the great work RTO!

17. RTOdhner

I did get the "woody" taste that you and Sas mentioned, and I will say that it was nice. Rating a toby as good or bad based on one bowl alone is a tricky proposition. The best you get from it is a first impression, and those are not always accurate or even fair. I had smoked some MacB Navy Flake about two hours prior to the Roll Cake, and I smoked the Roll Cake in a different pipe than I did the Club Blend. Two huge variables right there.

This research bidnis is tasking, and devilishly tedious. Still I trod on, pushing the boundaries of flake science. (Of course, ddandb with that toby tea business has me beat hands-down when it comes to being a toby mad scientist).

18. Albert

Albert Active Member

All i know is both of them are ghosters... I cant smoke them in the same pipe as I smoke a straight VA in or all i get is toasted honey VA! seeing as they have the same top dressing and I love em, theyve got a pipe to their own.

on ddandB, I question how much science there was in that, he may just be mad. :dkn:

19. RTOdhner

I'm going to have to bear the ghosting in mind when I order them, and order some corncob pipes to go along with the Club Blend and Roll Cake.

20. Albert

Albert Active Member

these blends are great in cobs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.