MacB Golden Extra

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by bowlerallover, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bowlerallover

bowlerallover Member

Thanks to Jon (jpberg), I now love burley. I was a little hesitant at first since, being a newbie, I'm a little more accustomed to the OTC blends, but after trying this, I think I'm getting the hankering for some other stuff. All it took was some four year old MacB. Though it doesn't produce the huge amount of, in my opinion, low taste smoke that Captain Black does, it is more satisfying to me. Nice slow burn and what not. A nice nutty flavor with just a tiny hint of chocolate in the aftertaste. And a damn site better than paladin. Lol

Anyway, just thought I possibly get some suggestions for some more tobacco like this? You guys are easily my largest resource of knowledge on the subject. Any input is definitely appreciated. (samples too!). Ha just kidding. Thanks guys.

Mac

2. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

LOL......yeah, MacB's Golden Extra is a good, rich, mellow smoke. If ya need any more advice, just ask Jon........he knows the good stuff.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Well, Nitehawk turned me on to PS Cube Cut. It's a nice, straightforward Burley of high quality, and kind of a no-brainer to smoke. Just top up your pipe with the handy little cubes and off you go. Ruff sent me some Wessex Burley Broadcut in the Blind Review, too, and it is really creamy and delicious. It has some Cavendish, though not too much, which complimented the Burley quite nicely. Both are highly recommended from someone who has historically not had a lot of use for Burley.

Herb

Mark w4mms and nitehawk like this.
  4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

MacB Golden Extra and PS Cubed Burly are really great Burly blends. The best price for I've found for either is over at Mars Cigars, where they run, roughly, $25 a pound - which is actually cheaper than an OTC because Carter Hall and Kentucky Club Mild (two close counterparts) run about $27 for 12oz. I really like CH and KCM, but I don't think they are as good as MacB Golden Extra or PS Cubed Burly, yet those storied OTC's cost more. Of course, CH and KCM come pre-packaged in handy tubs that keep the tobacco good for a long time so there is no need to shell-out another $6 or so on Mason jars.

MacB London Blend and MacB Symphony are OTC-style blends, but with higher quality tobacco. PS Natural, Natural Dutch Cavendish, and Aromatic Dutch Slices are three more OTC-style tobies made with higher quality tobacco; however, these are very mild smokes and I only care for them as morning smokes. This is not to slight these fine PS blends, because I like mild and gentle smokes in the morning with a cup of coffee and that first pipe of the day is a big thing for me.

Lestrade, Mark w4mms and nitehawk like this.
  5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

There's also ABF. For the unindoctrinated,
    that's Solani Aged Burley Flake. +1 on the
    Golden Extra!

nitehawk likes this.
  6. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I have an unopened tin of Golden Extra from 1974...may pop it open one day.

Ted Vig and bowlerallover like this.
  7. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I feel the need to resurrect a GE thread. I'm sitting on the front porch enjoying a cob full of this toasty goodness. It's not mind blowing, but it's really, really good. Deserves a little recognition every now and then.

RTOdhner and Lestrade like this.
  8. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Burley London Blend is another great one.

SouthBound likes this.
  9. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed. That pretty much sums up the entire MacB line, and that's why I've cellared so many of their blends. I'll be adding three or four tins of Golden Extra next month.

SouthBound likes this.
  10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

You could take the entire list above and have a great line up of Burleys. I'm a big fan of all mentioned:
    Solani Aged Burley Flake (ABF)
    Mac Baren Golden Extra & London Blend
    Stokkebye Cube Cut
    and will add Esoterica Stonehaven, which has a small quantity of Virginia mixed in, but is oh so good.

SouthBound and RTOdhner like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.