MacB Vanilla Creme vs. Planta Danish Black Vanilla?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by OrganizdMadman, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

Currently in the mail are a couple of custom cobs, and some tins of MacBarens Vanilla Creme and Planta Danish Black Vanilla. The MacB's vanilla (flake) was my very first pipe baccy ever and I still keep it in my rotation. The Danish Black was described on here once as "freakishly good" so I had to give it a try. Who all has tried it? How does it stack up as an all around good vanilla aro?

2. user2460

user2460 Member

Sorry I'd like to help but I have not tried them. I am sure someone will give you their opinion.

3. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

To be honest I remember trying Planta back in the last century and returned to my usual pouch of MacBaren Vanilla cream next time. Hard to say for certain since it was 15 years ago and my tastes have changed through the years but I remember it lacking the "creaminess" of the Vanilla cream.

4. Baccy Bert

Baccy Bert Member

Mac B Vanilla Cream is one I go back to every time. What I love about this one is the great vanilla and almost rum notes which just get better and better when smoking down the bowl ( and especially when getting a smoke at the cut plugs that are in the mixture). The room note is also fantastic and one I would have no reservations about smoking when in smoking and non-smoking company

Definitely a great one to try, haven't tried the other one, do let us know how it smokes when you get it :)

Bert

OrganizdMadman likes this.
  5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

MacB Vanilla Creme. +1

Planta Black Vanilla Cav. -10

I'll take the MacB anytime! :)

Ed
    Puff

Rewster66 likes this.
  6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Well, the Planta does have that handy pipe rest in the lid of the tin...

Perhaps it's because you'll want to put your pipe down after trying it.

Rewster66 likes this.
  7. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

Ok now I'm worried :p
    I love Mac B'a vanilla cream, but is planta really that bad? I hope it's at least decent because it cost more that than Mac B.

8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I hope it is too. I've never tried it, so I can't say. Looking forward to your report.

OrganizdMadman likes this.
  9. RobRiguez

RobRiguez Member

When I first opened the tin of Vanilla Creme it was everything I was hoping it would be, smooth vanilla wafting into my nostrils. Not too sweet and pungent, not too tabacco-y. I could almost taste it already...

My first bowl was a MAJOR let down. Almost NO vanilla and very strong tobacco taste almost bite almost the heat of cinnamon. I would get slight hints of vanilla but it was nothing like I was expecting at all.

A few days later I went back and by bowl 5-6 I was slowing down, sipping, allowing the smoke to linger. By bowl 12 or so I was barely exhaling at all. Simply allowing it to escape on its own and becoming engulfed in the smoke and it all started to make sense. CREME!!! Now I got it! Vanilla milkshake with whipped creme and a sprinkle of tobacco. Only had the tin a week or so and im already getting ready to order more before I run out.

10. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

Nice review RobRiguez! That's pretty much my experience too, but it was my very very first experience with pipe tobacco, and I got flake cut, which confused the hell out of me at first when I opened it, but learned to really appreciate flake in the end.
    After learning not to puff like a freight train, and apparently I'm immune to tongue-bite or I would have burned it off before the first week, I discovered the amazing underlying flavor.
    But I'm a vanilla fiend to begin with.
    If I don't like the danish, I'll probably give pinches of it away to you guys on here who haven't tried it yet, to get your opinion.

11. lowlytech

lowlytech Member

My experence with the danish black vanilla was pretty bad. I had two tins that were both consistant. It was very wet and had a crazy tartness that really was not to my liking. It was like a sour warhead, but worse. It in no way resembled anything remotely vanilla. I threw the remaining in a jar and see if some age/drying out would help. Infact its been several months I might try to find where I put it and see if its any better. For the record though I have stocked up several of the mac. vanilla flake as my current accepted goto vanilla.

12. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

So that's why all the sudden my smoke went sour!

13. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

When I opened the tin of Danish Black, it had a nice strong vanilla smell, some people say it smells fake, but it's the same smell as pulp of a vanilla bean. After that it was all disappointment :( first off it was way too wet. I dried it it front of a small heater for half an hour, then filled my Doc Grabow Omega which is reserved for strong vanilla aros. Hard to light and once lit it was bitter and then sour. I attributed the sour to the excess moisture gurgle it also had thinking I was pulling some "juice" in with the smoke, but lowlytech above just cleared that up. All in all pretty disappointing to smoke. Needless to say I thoroughly appreciate my MacB Vanilla Cream!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.