MacBaren 7 Seas Gold

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jhe888, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I got a sample of this from smokingpipes.com. It isn't the kind of thing I usually smoke.

It is labeled as a blend of Virginia and Burley. It is a lovely golden brown color with medium ribbons. In the pouch it smells of chocolate and a little of fruit - perhaps raisins or plums. The label claims vanilla too, but I didn't smell vanilla as a separate note. The casing isn't overpowering although I can't say chocolate and toby are things that I would put together.

It loaded and lit very easily. It burned all the way to the bottom with no relights. It produced a nice dry smoke with a good volume of smoke. I had opened the pouch a week or so ago and kept in a tupperware, so it was a shade dryer than when brand new.

The tobacco comes through. I think the Burley predominates and it has a certain brightness. There is a a hint of a cigarette taste. The Virginia is there, too, but in the background. It adds some sweetness. There is a little hint of the chocolate in the taste, and in the smell when burned, but, a little to my surprise, it was not overpowering or cloying.

This was a nice, pleasant smoke with enough tobacco taste to make a smoker happy. I would say it was light in nicotine. It was not a spectacular, rich, sensual, and heavy tobacco, but was something you could smoke all day, or when you want a lighter smoke.

All in all, a 6 or 7 out of 10. I liked it. I am not really an aromatic and Burley smoker, so if those are your cup of tea, you might like it more.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Sounds better than the Blue, which I found to be cloying and mouth-coating at times.

3. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

It sounds like MacBaren is trying to replicate the Captain Black line.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Obviously that's the market they are hitting - same colors on the package and a nautical motif. But the Royal is not like Captain Black Royal at all. It sounds to me like the Gold one is the most similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.