MacBaren Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by cmkiefer, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

MacB blends that I've tried and liked are:

Solent Mixture, Vintage Syrian, and Plumcake are all great blends that have Latakia to one extent or another. Club Blend is also great. and although it has no Latakia in it, it contains some sort of Cavendish that makes me think of Latakia.

Golden Extra and London Burley Blend are great burley blends. These two often get compared to one another, but I think they have very different chracters. Golden Extra has a lighter character, and to me it has a molasis/honey flavor to it - great in a cob. London Burley Blend has a darker character to it, and has hints of cocoa - goes better in a briar pipe

Old Dark Fired is truly fantastic stuff, and is a heart Virginia and burley blend. It's my favoritest blend in the world for those times when I want a really hearty and full-powered blend.

Scottish Mixture (flake or ready rubbed) is truly manna from the baccy gods, and is a Virginia, Cavendish, and burley blend.It's my all-time favorite blend for those times when I don't want something heavy - which is most of the time. It's got a honey-toast flavor that I think is actually mead.

Navy Flake is another great blend, and the constituent tobaccos are the same as Scottish Mixture, but it doesn't have that wonderful honey toast flavor that I love in Scottish Mixture - it has a more natural flavor to it. Symphony is another Virginia, Cavendish, and burley blend, but has a flavor I can't really describe... kind of like a cross between CH and SWR, but with something else in there that I can't describe. (It might be the unique MacB Cavendish that I'm tasting).

Like Sas said, the secret to really enjoying MacB blends and getting the most out of them is to sip them ever so slowly. Push them too hard, and you'll lose the flavor and some of them will bite. But just sit back and relax, sip ever so slowly, and you'll be rewarded with a really mellow and wonderful smoking experience.

User4408 and ruralhipster like this.

2. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Ditto.

(... and on the eighth day God created MacB, and He filled his pipe and sipped ever so slowly, and it was good. Amen).

ruffinogold likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.