MacBaren H&H

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jason1977, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

So I purchased my 1st tin of the H&H & asked myself a question once I saw the date on the tin: September, 2012. I'm wondering if I should cellar this for a bit before opening....

Only experience with burley is SWR & whatever the bacconista's have in their jars. Is burley even something that improves with age? Cuz otherwise, I'll crack her open, lol... this is the first tin of something I've never tried that I've brought home & never smelled. I know this weed has just come out & is new, but I was just wondering if you folks out there would recommend aging it first.

2. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

How will you know if it is worth cellaring if you don't try it? (no sarcasm intended, serious question)

3. Goat

Goat Active Member

Pop her open and spark it up. You can always cellar what's left.

jason1977 and MikeInMaine like this.
  4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

MacB blends are good to go without any aging ahead of time. Virginias age well because of the higher sugar content, but burleys not so much. Pure burley blends smooth-out, but they don't really "age" like Virginias. VaBur blends just seem to become mellower over time. I say just pop that puppy and smoke away. If you like it, buy a few more tins or pounds (if available in bulk) lay it down in your cellar. MacB HH ODF is a VaBur blend that I think will age nicely, and I love the stuff. It's easily my favorite flake, and I'm cellaring as much as I can.

IrishRover and jason1977 like this.
  5. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Because typically, when I purchase a tin, it's already at least 2 or 3 years old. If it's only a month old, fresh out of the factory, in my mind it sorta begged the question.

I sparked it up & this stuff is awesome. It's a go to flake, no doubt about it. No song, no dance, ~yeah, it's Danish, but the Danes must've had some American input because this one is a nice and simple, yet flavorful flake. I got myself a 32 oz. growler of Rogue Ale, sat in the back yard, enjoyed the full moon w. a good fire pit going. Smokes very well.

I intend to buy 2 or 3 more tins & cellar them. The rest of what I have is in a mason jar. It is by far, one of the best burley / VA tobaccos I have ever had.

IrishRover likes this.
  6. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I figured as much & that makes sense because I tried to cellar something else that had a high burley content & it became seemingly acidic & bit quite a bit. Had to chuck it all. I just never put the 2 together. Awesome response, thank you. That's what I was looking for.

RTOdhner likes this.
  7. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Sounds like some good stuff... gonna have to put that on the list

jason1977 likes this.
  8. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

It's a go-to flake for sure. It earned its place in the backy bar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.