MacBaren Navy Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by pottsy, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pottsy

pottsy Member

I got the opportunity to try MacB Navy Flake last night. I have only tried a couple of other baccy's, so my review will be somewhat limited. Bottom line, I liked it. Being my first tin of flake, I was a little surprised when I opened the tin. Apparently, I didn't know what flake tobacco looked like. I am pretty certain I did not pack the bowl well, but the tobacco was very forgiving of my lack of ability making me relight only once. The tobacco smoked cool in my pipe, with a very nice flavor, and nice aroma. Hopefully my descriptive abilities will improve as I smoke more. If you have not tried it, I do suggest giving MacB Navy Flake a try.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Navy Flake is very forgiving, for sure, and that makes it almost an ideal tobacco for beginners, and surely an ideal first flake. Mac Baren really do a nice job of giving a guy a great cut (1.5mm) and perfect moisture content. This one actually does burn right out of the tin!

To me, it's maybe not the greatest pipe tobacco ever, although, I do rank it as probably an all-time top ten, but it's such a benchmark - if you just absolutely hate Navy Flake, probably pipe smoking isn't for you!

Mac Baren's method is perfect for this tobacco:

MB Flake instructions

3. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Alright Sasquatch, I'm going to have to try this one. I've been looking for a Burley blend to try. Into the shopping cart it goes!

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Classic, classic stuff. It's sneaky-strong though, so watch out.

5. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Sneaky-strong........like me...... :iiam: :P :wtf:

6. pottsy

pottsy Member

Again, my experiences are limited. But, I feel if I like the way something taste, it's good for me, and helps me expand my horizons. I did enjoy the smoke though.

Those instructions would have been useful last night, haha. Thanks, I will use that information in the future.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+ 1 here .Like most MB stuff it's great upon opening and it's one of the classics no doubt .Keep smoking it pottsy . It'll keep gettin better :iiam:

8. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I have really been wanting to try a good flake and i have heard alof about navy flake, so it looks like my next tobacco order will be a couple tins bigger.

9. pottsy

pottsy Member

Tell you what, if you think you want to give it a try, but don't want to buy a whole tin, let me know. Maybe we can work out a half-tin trade or something?

10. pottsy

pottsy Member

I figure it will, now that I know how to properly put it in the pipe thanks to Sasquatch. haha

11. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I'll come out and say it. I have never tried a MacBaren blend in the four years since I picked up the pipe. Whenever I make a TAD purchase I usually think about it, but there's just so many other blends I want it always gets left behind. I'll lean towards a Gawith, McClelland, or GL Pease blend I haven't tried yet rather than risk my already strained budget on MacBaren's oddball offerings.

12. pottsy

pottsy Member

"oddball offerings"?

13. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

MacBarens (also nicknamed MacBurn'ems or MacBitten) must have a large and loyal following for their line of over 50-60 blends - the stuff is everywhere and there appears to be a flavor (or natural blend) for everyone.

Then there are those who find the line tends to be tongue-bitey and they speak cruelly of it. Me? Not much I like in their line except the Navy Flake - it is a perfect flake to learn on, easy and forgiving, the packaging is superb, the quality is consistent and the taste never grows old (for me, anyhow). And it softens with age - five or six years smooths the edges. The blender lists burley as the first element but it seems more virginia-ie to many.

14. pottsy

pottsy Member

Gotcha, I thought he meant they had some actual oddball offerings, like onion ring flavored tobacco or something. Damn, now I want onion rings.

15. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Ahhhhhhh yes, MacB Navy Flake! That is one good toby! IMO. It was my first intro to flaked 'baccy a good 35-ish years ago. Still smoke it from time to time and it always delivers! You're on the right track Pots, enjoy!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!

16. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

The Navy flake's one of my regulars - makes a great easy to fill, easy to load, easy to light, fine all round medium strength all day smoke. Guess you could say I like it then!

If travelling abroad and you can't get McB's try Players Medium Navy Cut - I'm pretty certain it's the same tobacco even down to the unusual texture,

Happy smoking all,

gerry

17. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

They have stuff like that. Just look at Navy Mixture...or Club Blend.

18. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

I would also recommend MB Burley London Blend if you want to go with a burley. It has been my standard pipe tobacco for years - really love it! (I like Navy Flake as well and keep some in the cellar).

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.