Macbaren Navy Mixture

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TTUSmoker, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TTUSmoker

TTUSmoker Member

So I recently purchased a 100g tin of Mac Baren navy mixture, I am currently smoking my second bowl of it. I am still trying to form an opinion of it. My first impression wasnt that good, because afterwards I almost felt nauseous. It was a very similar feeling to when I have smoked a cigar too fast, so I think I may have smoked that bowl to rapidly. So far my tobacco experience has been limited to C.B. White label, tobaccotradersusa.com Savannah blend, and a local blend called aristocrat. these are all very similar blends to me so this is my first step outside that comfort zone.

The back of the tin touts it as a Virginia blend with burleys mixed in. Is it a typical flavor of other virginias? I've heard good reviews of the Navy Flake, how does the navy mixture compare? What are the general thoughts and opinions of the esteemed membership of PSF.com?

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

Do not base your opinion of Virginias on Navy Flake, it has burley and other tobaccos included. It does not represent true Virginia tobaccos at all.

3. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

I have never had the Navy Mixture, but I have had McBaren''s Navy Flake. Assuming it is close in taste I can tell you I had a very similar experience minus the nicotine hit. The flavor seemed flat or missing and I was just a little irritated I purchased it. I put it away for a few weeks then tried it again. This time I smoked it in a newly cleaned pipe (peterson)and I smoked it slow. After a few bowls of this I started to understand why people like it and I started to enjoy it. The flavors to me are very subtle but they are there. I'd say smoke it slow and easy and give it another chance. It is not my favorite, but I have found a place for it in my rotation.

You can also find reviews for it at www.tobaccoreviews.com

Z

MoJoIn860 and Tompf like this.
  4. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

dunno what it is, its not the nicotine, but if i smoke most mac baren blends on an empty stomach it trips my acid reflux like you wouldn't believe.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Sounds to me like you went from cavendish blends to Navy mixture and are only two bowls in . I think the flake is a little richer and cooler . They both burn well and probably have more nicotine than capt black . Maybe alternate between what youre used to and the mixture for a few days and see how ya like it. hell , maybe it's not a blend you'll like but I'd give it more time ... you still got a full tin. :D

Tompf likes this.
  6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

My thoughts exactly. Give it some time smoke slower or use a little less tobacco - it's reasonably strong stuff. Navy Flake got the better of me a night or two ago.

Tompf likes this.
  7. piper965

piper965 Member

What he said :)

8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I ordered two tins of this back in February, but just got around to opening one of them yesterday. Quite nice, sorta like Navy Flake's and Scottish Mixture's love child. I've only smoked two bowls off it, so I can't really say much about it right now other than I like it and I wish I had ordered a few more tins. Now it's discontinued and no longer to be found here in the States. Bummer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.