MacBaren Plumcake American Counterpart?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jason1977, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

So is anyone aware of any?

I'm a pretty big fan of Plumcake, but it's a touch too "Danish" for me. American blends tend to be more robust, maybe natural is the right word... & not cased as often. I've tried C&D's Black Frigate, but that's a Royal Navy blend if you get my meaning. Anything can really qualify as a navy blend, but Black Frigate is an english blend w. a naturally sweet touch.

I'm looking for something that's American that smells & tastes as close to Plumcake as possible. I've not tried G.L. Pease "Sextant", but I wonder if it's not similar to SG Navy. Plumcake is cased. Gurgles. It's my only tobacco that gurgles on a dry day & the rest of mine don't gurgle on a humid day!

Anyhow, I've got 2 more cans cellared of Plumcake, but would LOVE to have an encounter w. its American counterpart. That's my quest....because I've nothing else to seek. I'm content & happy & have nothing else to do. As I smoke the plumcake, I always wonder, "Is there an American version of this stuff?"

My tobaccos are G.L. Pease Various blends), C&D (Black Frigate & Blockade Runner), & the Kansas City Pipe Club (Boston 1776 & Nocturne). Then there's plumcake. My 1 & only foreigner, LOL! I enjoy brands from all over, but over the years, I've developed a taste for the natural & robust flavors of the American blending / palate. I may revisit some of the imported favorites, but for now, I think I'm very pleased with where I'm at. I know I'll always have an import somewhere because I love mixing MacBaren's Virginia No. 1 with Turkish & Burley!

It's not about being strictly American on the tobacco shelf, it's about seeing if something exists, lol!!! If not, I will be attached to Plumcake for the remainder of my days! I would be more than ok w. that, LOL!!! I'm just curious if a blend exists with the same flavoring, sans the casing, ;) Plumcake is as sweet as I'll ever get, but I enjoy it immensely. Thanks all!!!

2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I've never found an American blend that even remotely tastes like Plumcake. Sail Natural is Danish but it does taste like Plumcake without the casing.

jason1977 likes this.
  3. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I just read the reviews, Sail Natural averages between 1 & 2 stars out of 4 on pipetobaccoreviews.com. People say it tastes of licorice. I'd gag if I tasted licorice in my babies...lol. I may end up caving and trying it just to say I tried it so I can be yet one more person that says, "yep....licorice...." Dutch from what I read. Never knew they were in the market.

4. BigG

BigG Member

I'm also a big fan of Plumcake but don't seem to have any more problems with gurgle than just about any other of the many blends I've tried. I tend to let it dry quite a bit. If you want more oomph to your Plumcake, how about mixing in a bit of Five Brothers? I don't know if it would change the taste a lot, but it would sure ramp it up!
    Glen

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The Danish style of blending hasn't caught on with American blenders. I don't know if it's that they can't do it or they don't want to. Or it may be that they can't do it and sell it as cheaply as Mac Barens can. Mac B is ridiculously affordable.

If you don't get a better answer later, my suggestion is to try some of the dryer aromatics. Pipeworks & Wilke makes some nice ones - check out their stuff at www.vtpipes.com (don't forget the 's' at the end or you'll get a pipefitters website). I can't tell you specifically which blends to try because - and no offense intended - if I did come across any blend that tasted like Plumcake, i would have tossed it and disavowed its entire existence. So i've probably purposefully avoided finding an answer to your question on my own.

But a dry, light flavored and lightly sweet aromatic is where I'd head for this. And when I think of classy aromatics, I think of PW&W. Call Carole Burns - she sells a sampler, and she can certainly be of more help. Good luck! :th1:

FlatbushPaul likes this.
  6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

+1 on the affordability of MacB blends. They are certainly better tobaccos out there, but if you just want a bowl of very good tobacco and not an "experience" then it's hard to beat MacB - especially for the price and the fact that you can buy them in bulk. Plumcake is one of my favorites, and I can't think of anything else that really comes close to it in either flavor or price.

jason1977 likes this.
  7. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Precisely! When I smoke it, I always ask, is there anything better? How about an American counterpart? I only cellar 2 tobaccos, (Plumcake & 1776). The price is amazing, perhaps I can let it dry a tad before I fill a pipe. I was just taking on a question just because. At some point in time one asks, "Is this as good as it gets?" It's odd when the answer is yes :bing: Because it's over at that point, ya just say, "well, alright then".

The only blend that remotely comes close to it in regards to the tin scent is C&D Black Frigate. I think Black frigate, if cased, would taste like Plumcake. They smell nearly identical, but you can tell blindfolded which is cased & which isn't. The C&D tastes more english than rum / raisny. I can't help but wonder if that is how plumcake would taste sans the casing. So I DID find it a few months ago. Just curious if anyone else found one.

RTOdhner likes this.
  8. dmkerr

PW&W actually has a blend named Rumcake. Might be a good place to start. ;)

Rodfather likes this.
  9. dmkerr

[quote="RTOdhner, post: 358513, member: 1565. Plumcake is one of my favorites, [/quote]

I wish I had known that a year ago. I placed a tobacco order and got a pound of Plumcake by mistake. They let me keep it and I gave it away to someone who liked it, but it was far from their favorite.

10. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Sail Aromatic (Green Label) has a touch of anise. Sail Regular (Yellow LAbel) and Sail Natural (Ivory Label) doesn't. I like licorice so it's all good to me.

11. dmkerr

May I recommend Mixture #79? :xd:

RTOdhner likes this.
  12. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Dan, you are evil!

13. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Hey, you're just being diabolical now.:bing: I said I liked licorice. I didn't say I liked the taste of soap.

RTOdhner likes this.
  14. dmkerr

Oh yeah... there's soap in M79 along with the licorice... I forgot... :xd:

Pretty crappy way to repay a friend that recommended McConnell's Oriental to me, isn't it? :D

RTOdhner likes this.
  15. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

16. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Rumcake is my favorite when I have a sweet tooth.

RTOdhner likes this.
  17. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

who makes the Rum Cake?

18. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Pipeworks & Wilke. Carol is my contact and sometimes she can be a little growlly.

19. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Plumcake averages only 3 stars on TR's ratings. As the saying goes one man's drink is another man's poison. TR's reviews are entertaining but I wouldn't take their ratings as gospel. Sail Natural is the closest to tasting like Plumcake of all the OTCs I've tried and I've smoked nearly all the OTCs except Granger and Kentucky Club. No blend will be an exact copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.