Machine Made Cigars

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by nesta, Jan 14, 2013.

1. homebrewer

homebrewer Member

I picked up a couple of Muniemakers yesterday, for $1.80 a pop.
    Smoked one last night, thought it was OK.
    I like the Villigers better.

2. homebrewer

homebrewer Member

Bought a pack of Black Jack Riggolettos, and a pack of Muriel Coronelas.
    I'd say the Muriels were tolerable as long as I was busy doing something else and not really paying attentention to what I was smoking. If smoked all day while at work I might keep buying them , but that's a habit I don't really want to start,
    The Black Jacks I like a lot. Got them a the local CVS. They came in four pack. Inside the box the cigars were in a sealed plastic bag, and each cigar is individually wrapped in cellophane.
    All the machined cigars I have tried have been on the small end of the spectrum but the BJ's are larger. I've tried a few $2 hand rolled cigars and I think the BJ's are at least as good as and better then some of the cheapy hand rolled ones. I'd say try them if you get a chance.

3. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I have to say, I love the denobilis...but I don't think I could enjoy a longer one than these little 4 inch ones. Any more and I'd have to seriously up my tolerance...and I don't like to DGT a stogie.

nesta likes this.
  4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Me either, but I gotta say this company does surprisingly well with that. Most cigars if they go out are dead to me, even if they've just been out for a couple minutes. These I've been known to relight after a while, without enjoying them so little as to snuff them out again.

Monkey likes this.
  5. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I need to spend more time on the forum. What is DGT?

6. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

Delayed Gratification Technique. Putting out a lit cigar and smoking it later. I haven't had great results with that.

7. Whalehead King

No, you wouldn't. Thanks.

8. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Member

A buddy of mine recently returned from a trip to Italy and brought me back a pack of Toscano Antico cigars. Your right Nesta, these are better than Parodi and bigger. I just finished one and it was about a 45 min smoke. It's a strong little cigar but not harsh and nice flavors. I'll probably never buy a pack, (unless I make a trip to Italy), but I really enjoy these ugly little cigars, and the best part is, they were a gift.:th1:

nesta likes this.
  9. Whalehead King

A while back I bought ten five-packs of Parodis. I found that I could smoke three out of five because two of them usually had some difficulty. This means a hole in the wrapper at some point before I could get any smoke, they were too tight so that I couldn't get any smoke, or that either end just became so mausered in the box that there was no pleasure in clenching or lighting the cigar.

Caveat: I do keep these under the seat of my scooter which allows them to bounce around on potholed streets, but I get like results when the box just sits on the mantle. It is a shame because I like Parodi on principle, and I like the cigar when it does actually smoke. I find them too fragile. Don't drop one. If you do, it will shatter into a mess the dog will be sniffing all over while you try to sweep up the remains in a dustpan. It is a cigar I want to love, but I can't bring myself to buy more at the 3:5 smokeable ratio. Does anyone else have this problem? For the price, I really can't complain, but when I buy 5 cigars I do want to enjoy all 5 and not go through trial and error to find one that will work.

ruffinogold likes this.
  10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

FWIW, I think Villagers are great.

Trauma likes this.
  11. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

The Toscano cigars mentioned above are really nice. Particularly the half size Toscanello variety. They're very good for the price.

They're essentially Kentucky cheroots.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  12. Kevin Keith

Kevin Keith Well-Known Member

I smoked up my cooler of $1 sticks from Cigars International a while back and it has been quite a while since I've smoked a cigar. Over the holidays I bought a couple of five packs of Travis Club Senators. I had another one this morning. Tasty cigars, I've always liked these. Machine made, 5 1/2" 52 rg perfecto, all tobacco by Finck in San Antonio. As a kid I'd see these under the glass at the counter in the cafeteria in town. Have a good meal, then a good cigar...the quintessential Texas cigar.
    [​IMG]

colorduke and Whalehead King like this.
  13. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

For machine made and dry cured I always fall back on Villager Exports, they never seem to fail me.

14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity the other day I signed up for swagbucks. It's only been a two or three days and I have over 800 points already. They also partner with internet retailers so you can earn points on things you would buy anyway. Famous Smokeshop is on there, and I was thinking it had been a while since I had the Principes by La Aurora, and they carry the 55 count boxes now - and at a better price than CI, anyway. Or better than CI used to be, at least, I didn't compare, I went ahead and bought a box of Principes, as well as a 5-pack of El Rico Habano in a generous corona or smallish robusto size. They're cheap and seem to be well liked and I haven't tried them before, so I'll give them a go. 50 dollar order...another 253 "swagbucks" to my account.

This puts me over 1000. If I get 10k I can get a 100 dollar paypal gift card with it. That's like getting a (basically) free pipe.

oops - wrong thread, but only sort of. the bulk of my order was machine made, so I guess it's all good!

15. Whalehead King

What did you think of these after you smoked a few? I love the construction of these. They're fat and springy enough that you can feel one between your fingers, but you can still manipulate it and twirl it around. I didn't like smoking them, too much in the end. In fact, I found year-old Senator the other day and, while I admired its construction, I wasn't tempted to light it up to see if my memory was wrong. I preferred to throw it away after I took the band off for my scrapbook.

Finck makes good cigars, don't get me wrong, but I don't think this is their best, even though they say the Travis Club Senators are their best seller.

Kevin Keith likes this.
  16. Kevin Keith

Kevin Keith Well-Known Member

My first TC Senator was in 1984. An old chief deputy in Upton County chain smoked them. He always had one in this mouth. Really, he chewed them. He'd light it up, it would go out and he chewed. When it got too soggy, he'd pull out a pair of scissors, cut off the end and light up again. Repeat the process till the cigar was gone. One day I asked him what he was smoking and he gave me one (no small event...he was really cheap and kinda stingy). I really like the grassy essence. The mix of cut/long filler (not true long filler, mostly just longer pieces of tobacco) suits me too...it doesn't go out as easily. They get harsh toward the end, but I will nub these. Not the best, not fancy or pretty, but I do like them. The 52 rg is big, but the cigar is springy enough that they're not jawbreakers. Through the years I have known several men who chewed these without lighting up. Not bad that way either.

Whalehead King likes this.
  17. Steve IoM

Steve IoM Member

Some machine mades aren't bad at all. Backwoods and Villigers have been mentioned plenty, and those are 2 brands I'll happily reach for. I especially like Villiger's Rio 6's which are a very handy quick smoke.
    I was away in Turkey recently and bought a couple of machine made coronas, I think the brand was Rocky. They were quite pleasant smokes but I've never seen them anywhere else. Anyone else here tried them?

18. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

Whalehead King likes this.
  19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I've had one of the larger sizes of Marsh Wheeling. They came in 25ct boxes, which is why I got them (I didn't want to commit to 50 or 100)

They were fairly priced, good quality smokes, but definitely had an American cigar quality to them. That's not a bad thing, but don't expect them to taste, look, or smoke quite like a Dominican/Nicaraguan/Honduran/etc. cigar.

I just had a Principe by La Aurora though, and frankly I think I prefer those. Marsh Wheelings aren't bad, though! I recently noticed small packs of them being sold at the grocery in my parents' town...I didn't know they were ever sold like that, next time I'm there I might have to pick up a pack of them.

Trauma likes this.
  20. Whalehead King

Nesta sent me a couple of those Marsh Wheelings way back when. I liked them. Another box is in my future when I get around to it. The box is beautiful, which has nothing to do with smoke-ability, but that's what sticks in my mind most.

Trauma likes this.