Machine Made Cigars

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by nesta, Jan 14, 2013.

1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Any insight into how this "Kentucky Fire Cured" differs, if it does, from dark fired Kentucky? I just wonder because Parodis, to my palate, have a taste more similar to Irish Flake, Kendal Dark, etc., than similar to "regular" cigars.

2. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I've got to admit that I've been trying a pretty extensive sample of inexpensive handmades that are good for walking the dog. I have to say that for the dollar and the experience, the good machine mades beat the cheap handmades. I've gone through enough handmades at a puttering-about pace, and I always stop at some point and wish it was a Muniemaker, or a Marsh Wheeling, or an El Verso. Then I remember that I want to try a box of Ibold, or Judge's Cave. I have found these class of cigars to be more consistent, more flavorful as the cigar burns down, and longer smoking than the dollar-a-pop handmades that I've been putting through the paces. I like a good handmade, but I really enjoy a good machine made as I go about my day.

nesta and Texvet like this.
  3. Texvet

Texvet Member

Amen Brother - I have yet to find a handmade that provide the consistent taste (not necessarily good or bad taste, but the same taste every time), construction and burn that my favorite machine made(s) deliver.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Man , did you just walk through my mind !? El Verso ! Muniemaker ! Ibold , Marsh Wheeling and Judges Cave ! What a trip .. I carried those in my shop for a time . Farnman drive was good too . Heck , anything from National had that type flavor . The Ibolds are darker or am I thinking something Pete ... It's been 14 years , I cant remember well . Youre right about the consistency ... there is never a dud . Dollar hand made these days are pretty much trash

5. homebrewer

homebrewer Member

I went to get some cigarette supplies at a local store that I would say has a pretty good cigar selection.
    I was checking out the cigars and the woman asked if I needed any help.
    I told her I was just getting interested in cagars and said something about machine made and hand made.
    She told me that all the cigars were hand made. They did have Parodi's and some drugstore smokes on a bottom shelf.
    I am thinking of checking out a couple other store to see if they have any of the cigars you all recommended in this thread. Are these cigars generally available at a good cigar shop? I have a feeling if I go into one of these places and ask for Marsh Wheelings or Villagers I'll be treated like some sort of lowlife and will be either blown off or they'll try and sell me something I can't afford.
    Maybe I'll just go to CVS and pick up a box Garcia y Vegas. They were good enough for my dad, and tomorrow is fathers day.
    Sorry for the rambling post.

EDIT: The Villager website has a search for retailer function, and there are couple local places where they say they are available. And I emailed Muniemaker to ask them where I can get thier cigars.

6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

If you have CVS where you live, I haven't gone in one and found them without Parodi/Avanti products before

7. ruffinogold

Marsh Wheelings are gonna be harder to find . Really , any of the all tobacco machine mades are hard to find .. go figure . The National brand stuff like Ibold and Farnman Drive [ not all tobacco ] are very hard to find too .Nesta is right , CVS , Walgreens etc ... usually have an assortment of the popular machine stuff , though these days , behind the counter where you can barely see anything

Thuber88 likes this.
  8. Whalehead King

I live in a pretty tobacco-friendly part of the world, all kinds. Keep Moving cigars are made in Louisiana, USA and they are sold at your grocer's counter. I have yet to see one of these old time machine made brands that we are talking about here. I am forced to shop on the internet. I have a box of Judges' Cave arriving in a few days, but I can't just pick one up at the newsstand on the way home. The mass market awareness of these brands is nil. They must be earning enough to keep in business, but there doesn't seem to be any effort to promote or grow market penetration.

If I happen to be buying a lottery ticket, I can also pick up a Dutch Masters or a Capt. Black Cigar with a plastic tip (of all things). I choose not to. The Capt. Black is horrible, and the Dutch Masters is only for when I'm getting a tire changed and I forgot to bring my pipe. If they had a box of Muniemakers behind the counter, I would buy them on a regular basis. Good machine mades are being made, and I enjoy them. I just can't find them around where I live.

9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Because pretty much any store here can sell hard liquor if they want to, the CVS I sometimes stop at to buy cigars usually has a few cardboard boxes behind the counter to hold those weird caps/locks they put on the bottles to prevent theft. There are several boxes at any given time blocking most of the cigars from view. Unless I'm lucky enough to have an older employee at the counter who probably has worked there for a while, it takes a lot of energy to instruct the uninterested college student who just needs a little more pocket money than mom and dad provide as to where to look to find the cigars I want. What I don't get is why they put the boxes there, in front of display items that I can't just go back and get for myself, instead of just behind the counter, out of sight from the customers. They must not really be very interested in actually selling the cigars they stock, I guess. However, they always have them!

Whalehead King likes this.
  10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Email I just sent to the suggestions/comments address for JR - irrelevant bits edited out:

Whalehead King likes this.
  11. Texvet

Texvet Member

Nice job Colin. I agree totally, and hope your request gets in the hands of someone able to give it proper consideration. A machine made sampler makes as much sense as hand made samplers. Please let us know if you get a response. If you don't - you may consider ferreting out a "next" level email address, or USPS a copy to the director of marketing/promotion.

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I went to CVS today and got a pack of Parodi Ammezzati. I also decided to revisit Garcia y Vega English Coronas since it's been a while. I'm excited to try those again. Also, something totally new to me which I'd heard good things about - Game Green. I haven't smoked one yet, but so far I'm disappointed - they are marketed as natural candela cigars, while the other Game cigars are marketed as flavored. It IS candela, but it sure smells flavored, it reeks of vanilla or something. Oh, well, it still might be good.

13. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Update: I am smoking one of the Game Green cigars. I got the three pack of cigarillos - really a very short panatella or something. Cigarillos among the machine made gas station cigars tend to mean something larger than among the Carribbean/Latin American brands. This is significantly larger than a cigarette, but with a very narrow ring gauge not approaching the realm of the petite corona.

The wrapper looks nice enough. Can't find fault with it. The smell in the foil packet of three cigars was cloyingly sweet, and unidentifiable, but super blunt-y.

The cigar tastes like a blunt, too. The core tobacco reminds me of everything I don't like about Phillies and White Owls. The sickly sweet unidentifiable flavor seems to be there to mask it. It tastes like a car exhaust flavored doughnut with a candela wrapper.

It's that good.

Unless the other two in the packet are a lot more pleasant, I'm highly unlikely to purchase more of these, and I'm sure glad I decided to try these before buying a box from one of the etailers. Honestly, they're NOT the worst cigars I've ever smoked - and I will smoke the other two. But I have no reason to buy them again.

14. Whalehead King

I have a recommendation.

My box of 50 Judges' Cave arrived today. With memories of Muniemaker in my head, I unpacked the mail I and found a box that was bulging at the tax stamp because it was so full of goodness. This is a nice box. The outside of the lid proudly states that these cigars are made by F.D. Grave & Son of New Haven, Conn. (really North Haven). The inside of the lid has a period lithograph of East Rock in New Haven, where the judges hid in a cave. "Trademark registered December 12th, 1884." I'm sold already, but I'm from Connecticut and learned the story in school.

This is an honest smoke. It lasts a little longer than a half hour, but not more than 40 minutes. It lights easily and has an easy draw. It is rolled like a shoe peg cigar. At first it is as mild as babies' breath. Then, I wondered what was going on, so I paid attention and smoked two Judges' Caves. I'm looking forward to the next 47. My socks are still on, but this is a very interesting cigar for a dollar apiece. I had to buy a box of 50, but in this case, I was happy I could. These old brands don't disappoint. They don't shock, but they don't disappoint.

It's a soft cigar, one you can chew on all morning while you go to the bank, study blueprints, tighten a nut on a camshaft, or spend an hour at the hardware store pitching bull. Then, you can light it after an lunch of oysters and champagne. It is a cigar for all occasions.
    I can't say if it is better than any other machine made. It has been too long since I've had any of this caliber. This is a newsstand cigar rather than a drug store cigar. The box is a thing of beauty. The cigars are unsurprisingly pleasant smokes.

Smoke in good health.

SidZiff likes this.
  15. homebrewer

homebrewer Member

Went to the shop to see what Villigers they had. All they had was some tiny flavored cigars in tins.
    So I went to the paper store and found bought a box of Panter Short Coronas.
    I tried one and thought it was good, It was pretty mild though especially after smoking the Parodis and De Noblis.
    Cost me $7 for 5, a little more expensive then the DeNoblis.
    And my wife says they smell just as bad.
    Here is description:
    "The Panter Dominican selection offers high quality cigars crafted in San Pedro de Macoris,Dominican Republic. These fine cigars are composed of a premium Dominican blend and a natural shade-grown wrapper from Ecuador. Carefully selected by their master blender, these tobaccos provide a perfect fullness and a balance to the cigars mild, yet rich in aroma. 4 x 40 in size and available in sets of 25."

16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Why did the judges hide in a cave? I've always wondered about that name.

More expensive, and the lady is just as offended by the aroma? I bet the Parodis at least burned longer...I know what I'd buy more of! Still, if they're pleasant they're worth it...it's nice having mild cigars on hand as well as strong cigars.

I went to the cigar shop today...walked out with two Hoyo Sabrosos in the maduro wrapper, and two Muniemaker Brevas - in a maduro wrapper, also. They sell three sizes of Muniemakers, all maduro. I was hoping to get something I knew I liked - and I like the natural wrapped brevas. But hey, I'll give this a shot! If all else fails, I know those Hoyos are fantastic smokes :)

17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Oh, and I've yet to receive any indication that anyone at JR read my letter. Not even a form letter. Such is life.

18. ruffinogold

Yer killin me ... I love Judges Cave ! Conn. tobacco is great and fine by me !!

Ya know what is so disgusting to me ........ the S chip tax that this administration put on boxes of cigars .. all cigars .. which made machine made cigars as pricey as " regular " hand mades at the time . The reason why machine mades come in boxes of 50 is because a box of fifty machine made should only cost 20 bucks retail . I hate this current administration for it .. and don't tell me that the former one was worse in this regard . The former administration didn't sign off on the S chip tax because they didn't want to tax something that was on the decline to fund helping indigent children [ which if you think about it .. is very logical ] . Please , I don't intend to start political discussion .. I just want that fact known so when some moron tries to bs you with something he made up ..... you'll know what to tell him about it . This is a factual site , afterall :rolleyes:

19. Whalehead King

Nesta: This link was interesting and reasonably accurate. It's true, in Connecticut we do call any outcrop or arrangement of granite that provides a modicum of shelter a cave. Judges Cave is a real place and a part of New Haven's history.

I was wrong. The picture on the inside of the Judges Cave box lid is of West Rock, not East Rock. I was wondering why it wasn't red. Another name for East Rock is Red Rock. It has a Civil War monument on top that you can see from the interstate, what we would call the highway in Connecticut, about 10 miles away. West Rock is its smaller, neglected sibling. There is a picture of Judges Cave on the outside sides of the box. It looks like a collection of petrified turds, which I suppose it does in real life too. I didn't want to say it out loud, even though I knew my wife was thinking it when she examined the box.

Where is your cigar shop? Heaven? What did you pay for the individual brevas?

Tell us what you think about both and smoke in good health.
    WK

20. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

The "cigar" shop is called the Briar and the Burley, located in beautiful Bloomington, Indiana. As these places go, I'd say it's a good one. I've been to places with more extensive cigar offerings, and with more extensive tinned offerings. However, they do what they do well, and have a fantastic collection of pipes, and a few tough to find imported tins (Pelican is on the shelf, currently, and I suspect 8oz bags of Penzance though I wouldn't swear to it). They have virtually no American pipe tobacco. They do carry a good collection of RYO cigarette tobacco (including the hard to find Peter Stokkebye blends) as well as imported cigarettes, but I gave up cigarettes. No dip, chew, or snus, but they DO have a small assortment of dry snuff. I had to pick up a tin of Dr. Rumney's, because it had been a while. Menthol is terrible in cigarettes, but I love medicated snuff on a hot day. Very refreshing!

The Muniemakers were under 3 dollars a piece. Of course, there are taxes, and they have a lot of overhead to account for. I don't think two dollars and some change was a bad deal at all, even if I could have gotten them cheaper through mail order.

They have only the maduros - the flavor was good, but the draw was tight on the one I smoked. I haven't tried the other I got. Overall, I enjoyed it, but I preferred the natural wrappers I've sampled in the past.

Edit: they are not simply a tobacconist, though that is generally the only reason I go. They also sell a wide range of other "gentlemanly" goods - luggage, shaving accessories, I think probably knives, I'm almost certain I've seen a display of canes, and so on. I sometimes think such an obsession with classical manliness is a bit silly. I can't say I take the shop extremely seriously. But that's okay - it's the best and only real tobacconist in town, and they have fun with their work and have a good location and a good business. They do what they like and they do it well - that's commendable.