1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Macqueen Pipes...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Six Foot Hobbit, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Six Foot Hobbit

Six Foot Hobbit Member

So, for Christmas this past year my father in law ordered a pipe for me online at MacQueen Pipes. The link shows the specific pipe he ordered. He knew I am a Lord of the Rings fan and thought this would be quite a gift - and indeed it is!

That being said, it was ordered back in October and according to his last communication with them it is still in the creation process. Having never ordered a pipe before, I am not sure if this it is standard for a pipe to take so long to be crafted and sent or if my growing sense of impatience is justified. Can anyone give me any insight into the matter?

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Something is not right. Other than maybe JT Cooke, I don't know too many outfits with waiting lists that long, especially for a pipe that is not truly "custom".

3. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Hmmm... it does say that it is "finished with an aging effect".... you may want to clarify how long that "aging effect" actually takes! :)

4. lazybear

lazybear Member

lol authentism is the key lol

5. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

whenever you get custom work done ask how long the waiting period is (before ordering) add half to it, and thats about when the guy will email you to tell you he'll have it ready by the end of the month. the shop i work in was about two years behind when i started working there, now were down to about nine months. most craftsmen undercharge, and that means they need to take more orders than they can finish to pay the bills, which means they're perpetually trying to run uphill in an avalanche.

as for the specific case, i'd shoot him ONE email about it and wait for a response. could be something happened to him (sick,family death, etc) or he may just be behind. putting pressure on him will just annoy him and cause him to be a little less careful when putting your piece together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.