1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

MacQueen Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nobler son, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nobler son

nobler son Member

My next bout of PAD will probably lead me here: http://macqueenpipes.com/ranger.aspx

Wanting another churchwarden, this time with a wooden stem, and I really like this one, since it resembles Viggo Mortensen's pipe from the Rings movies. Comes in cherrywood, but I'll probably pay the additional $10 to have it made of briar.

Has anyone here given MacQueen pipes a shot? They look to be rather well made.

2. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

I have a friend that has that very pipe, it's honestly not too bad. But I will warn you that the quality of the MacQueen pipes is somewhat lacking and that they're generally not the greatest smokers. Also be aware that it will take them a LONG time to get the pipe made and sent to you. So if you're looking for something a little more gratifying take a look at Savinelli's churchwardens at smokingpipes.com. Savinelli
    That same friend bought another one from them and it took 3 months to get to him and the bowl cracked right after his first smoke... sigh, he wasn't very happy.

Happy Smoking
    Arty

P.S. I do love the Lord of the Rings though. :)

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I've heard nothing but sad tales on the McQueens. I bet a search here would show you some of what I'm talking about.

As another option, check Vauen out. (I think it Is Vauen). They have a LOTR series that should be leagues better.

4. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

The only problem with Vauen's LOTR's stuff is that you're going to pay $300+ for a pipe. But they're worth it. My "Poker Club" bought one for a member's bachelor party. He let me smoke it. Wonderful. The End.

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Where there is a sugar mama, there is a way.

6. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

They always looked kinda shady to me

7. tylerupchurch

tylerupchurch Member

i have a the wizard churchwarden from macqueen and I love the way it smokes, but it took me 4 months to get the pipe. if you want a macqueen the next day go to http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/ thats where i got my dwarf pipe and that one was a nice smoker to.

8. nobler son

nobler son Member

I've looked at the ones by Vauen, and I just can't swing that price. Gorgeous pipes, but out of my reach.

I already have a Savinelli churchwarden, and I like it a lot. I'm just really wanting a churchwarden with a wooden stem. Luna Pipes has some interesting choices, but I rather liked the look of the MacQueen pipe.

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Seems a great pity that this firm is picking up a dodgy reputation - I actually like the look of the pipe and its matching accessories.

Good luck with your quest!

Gerry

10. nobler son

nobler son Member

Thanks, Gerry. It is unfortunate that there seems to be so many problems with the way MacQueens is doing business. I think I'm going to look more into Luna Pipes. Their designs are quite a bit simpler, and like I've said before, there is a certain elegance in simplicity.

11. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

The website for the Luna pipes showed some pretty nice <b>looking</b> pipes. I hope they smoke as well as they look. :) Do let us know. :)

12. nobler son

nobler son Member

All in due time. First need to save up eighty bucks.

13. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I have the Wizard. I bought it when the Lord of the Rings movies came out. I started doing a google search for such and found them.
    Never smoked it though. Looked and felt like it may not endure. I am sure that is not the case but it sure does look pretty on our mantle!

14. nobler son

nobler son Member

I watch a lot of videos from Bold O'Donahue on YouTube, and he has their hobbit pipe. He says it's one of his favorites. That's actually where I first heard of Luna Pipes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.