Major breakthrough in my technique!

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by WLJayne, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLJayne

WLJayne Member

Hi guys,

I thought I'd share this with you as it might help my fellow beginners and hopefully the more skilled smokers will see something familiar here :).

I just had a heavenly pipe, it was by far the best smoke I've had since starting in every concievable way. Why? I packed my tobbaco about a third as firmly as I had been doing. The result; beautiful, cool (and I really mean cool, as in room temperature), thick, fragrant and flavoursome smoke. It was simply divine and I really felt like this is what it's all about. I was smoking Gawith Hoggarth Cherry and Vanilla blend, and all the aroma and taste was coming out, it was great. Before now, all I was tasting was hot, burning tobbaco - and that was still nice enough but nothing like this. Before this my tongue had been so overwhelmed by the burnt taste and sting of the hot smoke I was missing all the smells and tastes of the blend. I had to relight twice this time but that didn't bother me at all. I gravity filled the bowl up to the top and then tamped it down half way - I dont't smoke entire bowls yet as it's still a bit chilly out in the evenings when I go out for a smoke.

I was simply amazed at the difference. Also, when I emptied the ash it was all black and coarse, whereas before it had been very powdery and grey/white. So clearly something different was going on in there. Whatever it was, I'm doing it again!

Do any of you experienced guys recognise something here? Do these things indicate that I'm doing it right? I sure feels right, I can't wait for my next bowl ;)!

I hope this helps the new guys, I'm sure I'm not alone in my initial slightly hot and stingy experiences.

All the very best,

Will.

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

It's all in the fill, isn't it? Well done and many more.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

No way dude.

Pack it tight and scorch your tongue like the rest of us! :cheers:

I think that first time a pipe really works, really offers an unforgettably pleasant smoke, that's when a guy says "OOhhh I get it now." Takes a bit of fooling around usually, (hell I'm not even gonna tell you how long it took me).

Good stuff!

4. Major

Major Member

Congrats WL.....many more pleasant experiences will follow now that the lights have come on for you. keep in mind results will vary with different blends. Once you get used to a blend's behavior you'll have the same results.

I personally had a good time in a traffic jam this afternoon and had time for two delicious bowls. I never do back to back but the blend was with me at the right moment and both bowls burned so nice and cool with out a hint of gurgle.

I godda go find another traffic jam now.....bye.

5. HolySmoke

HolySmoke Member

that is something I am gonna try right now. Thanks for reminding me of the importance of packing right.

6. WLJayne

WLJayne Member

Do tell us how you got on :). MrBen. I also noticed there was no gurgling at all, which was a great bonus. I just picked up some more of the blend and may enjoy a few more bowls this weekend. I definitely got the "ooooh now I get it" thing :D!

Will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.