Major Dilemma here - need help/input- 8 oz esoterica order

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Eric Pierson, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

I received the 8 oz package from P & C that has been on Backorder forever. I immediately noticed as you can see that the label is actually covering a Pembroke label. I called P & C immediately and told them of the concern. They offered to take it back for store credit on their dime, but could not ship more Tilbury as they had no more.

They said they were pretty confident it is Tilbury as they said they requested no Pembroke with that order, but added that if I open it I am stuck with it. If this was 2 oz. I wouldn't care, but 8 oz. is a bigger concern.

First question - has this ever happened to any of you? What was outcome?

Second Question - Has anyone tried Pembroke? Byt the components I am imagining Margate (which I was not too crazy about) with Cognac poured over it? How does it compare to Margate?

Third Question - Does anyone have some Tilbury they would trade for an opened bag of Pemborke with a Tilbury label on it? (long shot, I know, but you can't blame me for asking)

Any help would be appreciated, including any opinions or just general smart ass comments that may make me chuckle.
    [​IMG]

YAPPG likes this.

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I find it shocking that P & C would do this to you.

YAPPG likes this.
  3. Eric Pierson

I was a little surprised myself. I even told them I was going to put it on the forum to see if it had ever happened to anyone else and try to get some advice as the person I spoke to said they never heard of that happening before. I would think they would know the possible result of me doing that. I also asked that if it contained Pembroke if Esoterica or Germain would step up and I got a quick and curt "no."

YAPPG likes this.
  4. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

Eric, i've not tried either but have wanted to. If it's Pembroke, I have I could take 4 oz of it off your hands or all of it. All I have to trade is 4-6 oz of PS LTF, 4oz -a bowl or two of GH Top Black Cherry and or 4 oz MacB Golden Extra. Let me know. I'm assuming if its Pembroke it will have lat in it, but I don't know about how much Cognac is in it. I've heared it goes away after opened and also heared it stays aroubnd for the entire smoke. I have enough GE and LTF to trade off, the Top Black Cherry is just not my cup of tea.

5. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Perhaps you can try contacting Esoterica and see if the label-covering is a common practice of theirs?

dwaugh likes this.
  6. Eric Pierson

This may be possible. I will get back to you.

7. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

Man thats just :eek:. I received some 8oz Esoterica blends yesterday from Payless Pipes. Perhaps I better take a closer look at the labeling. Looks like "ghosting" is not just limited to pipes anymore.

LifeOfRiley and Eric Pierson like this.
  8. Eric Pierson

Well after an exhausting internet search looking for the corporate website of Esoterica Tobacciana and then its importer, Butera, I finally got irritated and sent an email directly to JF Germain explaining the situation and either helping or forwarding to the reponsible party. I am not even sure who does the bagging and labeling of the product.

9. jdto

jdto Active Member

It's possible they made a screwup in the factory and then corrected it by going over top of the old label. Also, I had some 12-year-old Pembroke at the last pipe club meeting and it was damn good. But, as usual, YMMV.

dwaugh likes this.
  10. Eric Pierson

I am not much for the full Latakia mixtures. That is how I found Margate, but I admit I had a few good smokes when the stars aligned.

11. jdto

jdto Active Member

Well, the Lat in the Pembroke I tried was very subdued, but it was also 12 years old, so that might have had some effect. You might do better to try it and, if it's not to your taste, offer it in trade on the forums here. I'm sure you'd get equal value of something you like.

12. Eric Pierson

Yeah, I am coming around to that idea. I will make sure to let you guys know the outcome of the grand opening. Although I am hoping to smell no smokiness, I will definitely try some even if it is Pembroke.

13. olddog

olddog Member

Eric, this happened to me on a couple occasions when a year or two ago I bought Cerberus and magnum opus. Upon removing the label from the former of the two (it was not the colored Cerberus label you see advertised, but was a black and white copy, I discovered a different label underneath, which upon tracing its code, matched what was then the unavailable "exotique". This aroused my curiosity about the opus, and upon removing that label, it two had the old exotique label. I never made mention of it, as both tobaccos were so similar to what I like, with the exception of one tin of the Cerberus being dried out to the point of being unsmokeable. Good luck with your dilemma, olddog

14. 300e

300e Member

I'd send it back and cease doing business with them. And I say that with absolutely no prior bad experiences with this vendor.

They ship a customer a product of questionable origin, and then put the burden on that customer? No thanks, I'll pass and spend my money elsewhere.

mongo and Stonewall like this.
  15. jdto

jdto Active Member

I don't think their response was all that unreasonable. They offered to take it back, but unfortunately don't have any in stock to replace it, so they give a full credit. Or, the customer could decide to open it and keep it, as they were reasonably sure it's the correct tobacco.

nesta and dwaugh like this.
  16. Eric Pierson

I can see where they are coming from, but I am surprised that the source would allow that to happen. I wonder if it was anyone besides germain, whose supply is laughingly low in relation to the demand, the response would be different. I am curious to see if and what response Germain comes back with. If, for instance, they do respond in a favorable way, then I would be very disappointed in P & C for not making the effort themselves and would likely never purchase from them again. But to be fair, I could return this and have any other blend up to the same dollar amount. My problem is that I just love Tilbury, and of the $100 plus order (always for the free shipping) it was the one I most looked forward to smoking.

17. jdto

jdto Active Member

I mean, it's not the greatest customer service in the world, but it's sort of neutral. Not enough reason to quit doing business with them, but at the same time, if there were other options for my stuff, I'd probably consider that first.

18. Eric Pierson

Sweet. Throwing caution to the wind i Just opened it and it is tilbury.

ruffinogoldswife and jdto like this.
  19. Eric Pierson

At least I am assuming so as there is definitely no lat. I am looking forward to my first pipe of it in a few hours.

20. Rickpal14

Rickpal14 Member

Glad it worked out for ya!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.