Make your suggestions for something new:

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jhe888, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I have long bought bulk tobacco from tobacconists. I like the less sweet aromatics and have always liked straight up Virginias.

What you would you suggest to help broaden my horizons?

Suggest two or three tobys that one probably wouldn't find locally and that would be something different.

2. pottsy

pottsy Member

Jubilee
    Presbyterian Mixture
    Hellam's Hillbilly Blend.

3. noflex

noflex Member

A good VA is Orlik Golden Sliced (OGS) I been smoking that for years, and keep comming back for more :thumbsu:

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Good shots, Pottsy.

I'll second Jubilee (McClellend) and Presbyterian (solomon), but you gotta try a tin of Club Blend from Mac Baren if you like virginias and less sweet aromatics. Or Dark Twist. Both are super.

5. woody

woody Admin Admin

Union Square

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Straight VA?...Get McClelland 5100. Not a blend so much as a bulk 'component'...(up your alley, maybe?)...nonetheless an excellent smoke on it's own. It's my go-to smoke, BTW.

'Tinned' Straight Va?...Well, SG Full Virginia Flake is the 'bee's knees' on tobaccoreviews.com. I haven't tried it yet, but it is obviously a winner to most pipester's.

English?...Sheesh. It's a wide open field. I just ordered a single tin each of McClelland's Fred Hannah's blends...supposedly the next great blends in this genre. But...there are many other good'ns available. Seriously. They are everywhere.

Aromatic...Well, I don't care for them. But...I have seen the light with two of them....Tobacco Trader's Savannah(a perique-y vanilla/mapley blend), and Just for Him's 'Shortcut to Mushrooms'...(a Lat/back cavendish) blend. Both make you think twice on poo-pooing aro's.

Va/Pers- Escudo, period. McClelland's Tudor Castle, possibly(if you know you like oriental influences). Both excellent, IMO. Others may say Reiner's Long Golden Flake, or Solani's 633.

Man, you ain't askin' much, are ya?

BTW...if a good aro is a possibility for you, Tobacco Trader, i.e. 'Savannah', is a free sample offered just by giving the proprietor a call. A lot of us have done just that.

Happy hunting!

-Kyle

7. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

+1. Union Square is great. MacB's Vanilla Flake is a good 'less sweet' aromatic.

8. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

You have some great suggestions already.

I'd throw in McClellend's Blackwoods Flake, probably my favorite straight Virginia. Another good Virginia that is cased and slightly aromatic is Erinmore Flake, one of my favorites but it seems to be a love it or hate it blend. Another of my regulars is Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake. Predictable and always good.

Union Square and OGS are great suggestions. 5100 isn't real complex but it is good. MacB Club Blend, Dark Twist and Mixture are real good. MacB Vanilla Creme is a nice Virginia based aro.

Do you like VaPers? If you haven't gone there yet you might try one. McClellend 2015 and Escudo are good.

9. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Something you wouldn't find locally, hmmmm...

Orlik Luxury
    Capstan Gold
    Caledonian 10 :thumbsu:

dp

10. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

11. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

virginia: mac baren VA#1, cheap, available, good.

Aro: erinmore flake

english: old dublin from petersons.

nuff sed.

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

If I hear ya right you wanna try something unlike what you've been smoking ? P.S. English Oriental Supreme would be diff . and it might blow your mind ... and it might be at your tobacconist . MacBaren Symphony is nice and is a blend of burley / vir /cavendish ... and might be at your tobacconist. And W.O. Larsen 1864 Perfect Mixture ... it might be closer to what youre already into but if ya havent tried it .... it's killer . Unless you just want to order online ... theres a good chance you can find those three if ya live in a big town

13. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

PS balkan #1 3/2 with mac baren va no. 1 and 1 part PS "latakia" (actually dark stoved VA and lat) makes for a killer blend. that or a little mac baren HH syrian in an ounce of english oriental supreme.

either way, i agree that PS englishes are way underrated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.