1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Making my first visit to Boswell's next Friday...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by furious, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furious

furious Junque collector

On my way to Pittsburgh next weekend and will stop briefly at Boswell's for some tobacco and perhaps a pipe. I know how revered JM and Dan are on PSF, and I would like to know your thoughts on what to look for while I'm there.

2. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

What to look for...all the money in your wallet to just jump right out!​
    If he still has the Grizzly pipe in stock, ask to check it out. I was able to see one on my last trip and it was amazing! I do not have a Boswell pipe that I do not like or that does not smoke well. He is known for larger pipes, so if you like large pipes, you will have a difficult time choosing just one.​
    Also, they have a nice selection of house blends. Many are Aros, I do not mind, but they also have some english blends. They will encourage you to try whatever you want. I have started loading up as soon as I walk in, if I do not have a pipe lit already, and then look through the selection of pipes and accessories.​
    Most of all enjoy your visit. My first trip was over whelming. I also learned to save more for the trip before I head over.​
    Looking forward to a report, with pictures!​
    Sean​

3. furious

furious Junque collector

I have seen a few pics of the Grizzly and it is one big mother!! Of course, it comes with a big price tag, too, so it's definitely out of my league. I'll ask to see one anyway. Can't wait to check the place out! And there will be a report upon my return, especially if I pull the trigger and buy a pipe.

4. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Visiting Boswell's has got to be cool. Enjoy and take plenty of pics!

5. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Can ya pick me up an ounce of Northwoods? ;)

6. Capt

Capt Active Member

Have fun!

Don, I have some if you want it.

7. Mington

Can I get a sample from you? When is a good day\time to stop by? Don't forget my Mixture #79! heh
    (You don't have Pipesandcigars.com Larry's Blend too...do ya?) ;)

8. Capt

Capt Active Member

Don't have Larry's, but gots da others. Tonight is the only night I have open.

9. Mington

I will call you on my way home from work. I may be getting home before 5 today. Thanks!

10. Capt

Capt Active Member

Cool.

11. furious

furious Junque collector

No problem. That's on my TAD list.

12. Chuck S

Chuck S Member

Enjoy the visit, and definitely take the time to sample a bunch of their house blends. Boswell's Best Burley is one of my favorite smokes.

13. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

furious:----you are in for a treat to say the least. I am VERY lucky to live only a short drive from their place, and in my own personal opinion--Boswells shop rocks. They usually have many pipes on display--as you enter their shop--look to your left along the wall in their display area--Also talk with Dan, and his dad J.M.---Gail(J.M.s' wife), and staff there are ALL---super down to earth people---you may not want to leave---prpere to fire up that pipe, and sit down, and relax for a while. As soundlzrd said---ask Dan, and his dad if he has a grizzly in the works to look at. Yes they do make fairly large pipes---I love large pipes, and can tell you VERY personally--a jumbo--a jumboX, or jumbo XX are SUPER nice. And yes a Grizzly is worth owning just for the conversation, and jaw dropping it causes. Even J.M.s' jumbos are larger than most any other pipes made. A Grizzly is a pipe that takes the words over-the-top, astounding to new levels. There are NO WORDS to describe these pipes other than---OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! They also smoke VERY-VERY -VERY--VERY well---it just takes all day at the very least. You gotta see one of these to actually handle it, and appreciate the holy cow factor.

furious likes this.
  14. furious

furious Junque collector

Thanks for the advice, Russell. I am very excited to be able to make the stop. I am actually going to leave the house early to allow for more time at Boswell's. I can't see how I won't walk out of there without a new pipe (or two, lol wife will shoot me if she ever finds out). I have seen a number of JM's pipes over the years, and I really would like to own one--just haven't gotten around to it yet. I am going to let the pipes do the talking when I walk into the shop. The right one will make itself evident. I don't have any large pipes beyond an old Barling's pot, so this is a new area for me. Can't wait to hold one of those grizzlies!!

15. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Keep in mind that J.M. may not have a Grizzly at the time. He does these only when he can get briar blocks that are workable. If he has one you just gotta hold it--even if you cannot afford such a beast-just holding one, and looking at it is amazing. J.M. Boswell usually has something to attract a piper. Also eye catching are his swirl, and shot shell pipes. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE A PIPE ALONG IN-----he will let you fill your pipe to sample his house blends. ALLOW LOTS OF TIME---these folks, and those who frequent the place usually sit in the corner to enjoy a nice cigar, or a pipe bowl full---over great conversation. He has a sign that I simply love hanging above the pipe display area-----it reads---enter as strangers--leave as friends---and this is so true at the Boswell shop. I can tell you---I LOVE THAT FREAKIN PLACE---I don't get to go in as much as I want---sad being I live close--about 30 minutre drive for me. I am so glad you decided to make the trip---you are going to have fun.

16. furious

furious Junque collector

Will definitely bring a pipe in to sample a blend or two. Really sounds like my kind of place! I know I could order one online, but I would like to buy my first Boswell in person. I'll know it's the right one when I hold it and get a good look at the grain and workmanship.

17. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I've never been there to give any advice what to look for... but just have a great time.

18. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Problem isnt the right one...it's finding the right 7 day set that gets one in trouble there :D

Rewster66 likes this.
  19. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Your going to need a pair of leather chaps if you get one of those grizzly pipes.

dwaugh, HCraven and Spaceboy Tim like this.
  20. templehall

templehall Member

As mentioned by previous posters, plan to sample at least several blends while there. If there is a style of tobacco you haven't tried yet but would like to, sampling as Boswell's is a great way to try it out. (This is how I learned I liked English Blends) My Boswell is a shotshell and it is such an easy smoker. Also, set aside enough time to have a sit down on the sofa and enjoy the dog's company too.

furious likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.