mandatory stupid question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by loaf, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loaf

loaf Member

As a pipe virgin, i have some basic questions I feel urged to ask before i spend any hard earned (hard loaned actually, I'm a student)

Question the first: pipes. Are these £30 starter kits with pipe, filters, cleaners and tools worth the cash, or a false economy? am I better off buying higher quality gear individually?

Question the second: tobacco. the prevailing advice seems to be "try a bunch and see what sticks", but I'm poor, limited in funds, and only an occasional smoker. looking for some tobacco that's inexpensive, not too strong and easy to light, also, I've heard that "cake" tobacco is better for us forced to smoke outside (UK laws and mean landlord) as it doesn't blow out as easily.

Question the third: the smell, we all love the smell of tobacco, but the acrid smell of cigarette smoke on clothing is nasty, will pipe smoking have the same result?

I would appreciate any advice, links etc.

by the way, links to shops Online are only any good to me if they ship to the UK.

thanks for any advice you can share, i look forward to becoming a pipe smoker and taking an active part in the forum. :whistle:

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Why not give Greens of Leeds a call when you are ready to buy some tobacco? By all accounts they are good people to deal with, and can probably help you with pipe selection as well. Let us know how you are progressing.

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Not sure about the kit you are mentioning. A link or pic might help. The best budget pipes are a quality cob, like a Missouri Meerschaum or purchase an estate pipe in good condition. I would avoid a pipe made from any other wood than briar.

The best thing you could do is find a local tobacconist. They will answer many of your questions, help you select a good "starter" tobacco within your budget and help you with some inexpensive gear.

I've ordered stuff from The Black Swan Shoppe in the UK. They are redesigning their website at the moment, but you can call them until it is finished. They are good friendly people.
    The Black Swan Shoppe

My wife hated the smell of my clothes & breath after smoking cigars. She kind of like the smell after a good pipe. I've never heard anyone mention distaste for the smell after a pipe.

Welcome to the site! :xd:

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi and Welcome!

Green's of Leeds, Bruccianis and Lloyds are good long established tobacconists with knowledgeable staff.

Wouldn't personally go for a starter pack - the pipes tend to be "baskets", even in the UK you'd probably do better with a corncob at around £6.00.

On the tobacco front you are going to have to experiment til you find your own taste preferences - some suggestions are Players Medium Navy Cut, Benson and Hedges Mellow Virginia if you like to try a sweeter taste, St. Bruno which most Brit Pipe smokers cut their teeth on or Erinmore Mixture which is a litttle less robust than the Flake and finally Craven Aromatic - supposedly the "arcadia" smoked by Dr. Watson in Sherlock Holmes. All I'd say is don't be talked into getting a really mild tobacco - most new pipe smokers go at their pies too hard and fast and get burned tongues - mild tobaccos make this happen more easily!

Sit back, take it slow and easy and don't worry about the pipe going out - they do!

Good luck,

Gerry

5. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

+1 Gerry

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Welcome to PSF, Loaf! and let me answer the third question... No! pipesmoking odors do not stick to your clothing!

And bye-the-bye, the acrid smell of cigarettes is not so much from tobacco, but from the additives and the rolling paper! https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I don't know about the "no" odor so much as, the odor is nice. I love the smell of my pickup when I get in it in the morning or after it's been sitting in the airport parking garage. It's a mellow, pleasant smell, better than any air freshener. My wife says the same.

8. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

I agree, there is an odor but it is not an acrid smell. I remember I had a professor who I am guessing would grade papers while smoking a pipe, because whenever he gave them back they had the most appealing smell to them. Wish I would have asked him what tobacco he was smoking.

9. loaf

loaf Member

10. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I would say that kit is worth it, i bought a stater kit one time and im still useing the tamp tool and stuff today. You would be suprised on how good they can be, but in the same right how bad, but if it was me id buy it....

11. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

Welcome aboard, Loaf. I'll leave the pipe and tobacco advice to the experts with more wide-ranging experience. They're right. As for the smell...

Pipe smoke leaves an odor but if I've been in a bar full of cigarette smokers my wife will wrinkle her nose as soon as I come in the door. As a long time cigarette smoker, I pick up a shirt from the night before and I wrinkle my nose. I pick up a shirt that I've smoked a pipe in though and it's got a nice aroma. I don't think its my natural musk. It's the tobacco. Riding a bicycle all afternoon in Louisiana humidity, I sweat buckets. The pipe neutralizes all that. I don't smoke inside the house except to pass through. My wife has never complained about the smoke or its residue. That's saying something.

Think of it as your new cologne. The chicks will dig it.

Cheers.
    WK

12. ErichPryde

ErichPryde Member

He can't be that hard to track down. I bet you could find his email in a matter of minutes and ask him what tobacco he was smoking. :whistle:

13. Introibo

Introibo Member

14. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

+1

I picked up a similar "starter kit" and while the pipe in that one is much nicer than the basket briar in mine, I still use every item in that kit, including the pipe (it's become my "beater" pipe). I consider that kit to be money well spent.

Welcome aboard, loaf! Great to have you here with us!

15. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Too bad we don't have a UK newbie sampler.

16. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi Peter,

No the Players is not at all how I remember it - it used to be a fairly bright yellow tobacco with darker bits in it; though it was supposed to be mild and often sold to beginners it wasn't ideal for them because if you smoked it at all hard it burned you badly. The distictive texture of the flake version, its drier state and its taste make me suspect it is really Macbaren's Navy Flake and possibly made in Denmark by Orlik. Actaully I prefer this version to the original.

On the Craven front - John Barrie comments on this as being the Arcadia Tobacco and at one time wrote articles about the Arcadia Club. Craven Aromatic is in a light blue edged pack and while it's called an aromatic it isn't in the modern sense of having flavourings added. It's a colour mixture and the taste and aromas come from the tobaccos in the mixture not the casings - I think Dunhill in it's classic blends used the same tecnique. Craven do a non aromatic version ( similar to a toned down milder version of the British, not the American Walnut ) in a green edged pack - both available from Brucciannis and I think Lloyds.

Craven started off as Carreras (eventually being swallowed up into BATS/Imp Tobaccos) and they made cigarettes and tobacco for Lord Craven including the famous "Craven A" cigarettes with the slogan "Will not affect your throat!" hence the brand name.

Hope this helps

Gerry

17. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Gerry, I want to publicly thank you for your contributions to this Forum. Thank you, Sir.

18. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Wow, right?

19. Jay

Jay Active Member

Loaf,
    Beg,borrow, or steal as much money as you can. Use money to buy as many pipes,tobacco, and accessories as you can. Smoke as much as you can. Tell others about the pleasure of piping as often as you can. Listen to the sage advice you'll find here whenever you can. See how many worms are in this can?!

Enjoy this happy habit brother.

J

20. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Jesla - as the actress reportedly said to the Bishop, "Thank you for having me sir!"

Back to the original question about decent pipes to start with - Peterson's Donegal Rocky range which start in the U.K. for under £36.00 from Lloyds, would make an excellent beginning range. You can buy dearer Petersons but in all honesty while they look fancier with silver mounts etc etc the dearer ones will not smoke significantly better - the 999 shape has thick walls and a good bowl size ideal to begin ( and stay ) with as you'd need to work to make it smoke over hot and good looking enough to take anywhere without comment.

Again if it has to be a British supplier, it could be worth Googling Invicta Pipes - they started out as repairers to the pipe trade but have been putting out their own pipes now for many years and are favourites with pipe club men - their range starts about £31.00 and they do mail order.

Best to all

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.