Margate/squadron Leader?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by capt dave, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capt dave

capt dave Member

I just opened my first tin of margate. I like it, like I enjoy most English blends. But I honestly can't tell much of difference between margate and squadron leader. Am I missing something here? Why is margate so hard to get but I can get S L by the pound on bulk or tins? I will defiantly buy more margate as I find it but not loosing sleep over its unavalibility. Just wanted to know what the rest of you think. There was already a great post on cheap English tobacco but I though this might go off on another tangent.

2. capt dave

capt dave Member

Okay... After carefull consideration I guess a little more bold, earthy, eith a bit more nic. But just a novelty so far with a pretty can. I like it though it doesn't seem to stand out as much diff.

Jussto likes this.
  3. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Those are about the differences that I notice as well. SL's Orientals are a little more delicate and aromatic, Margate is a little fuller. I love them both, but grab Margate more often.

4. capt dave

capt dave Member

Interesting enough I had a talk with a B&M guy and he said SL went through the same unavalibility thing a while back as margate. It would seem that folks are hopping on the next flav of the week and moving on. Ill smoke either and be happy and if I can't get those two it will be time to try another.

5. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

Margate smells great in the tin, but I don't taste a thing when I smoke it. I've tried it 6 or 7 times in different pipes at different moisture levels and I still don't know or remember what it tastes like. :msty:

At least I can enjoy SQL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.