Mass Market Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Whalehead King, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I'm from Boston where selling tobacco in drug stores is illegal. I have only seen the common blends in tobacconist shops: Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Granger, Sir Walter Raleigh, Captain Black. Those are sold in the big tubs so I never picked them up.

I travelled from Boston to New Orleans all on back roads recently and I noticed that convenience stores and grocers carry pipe tobacco. SWR seemed to be the most common, both straight and aromatic. I also saw Carter Hall and PA, but not so much the other brands. This is an average impression. I really started noticing in Virginia, Tenn, Ala, and Miss. I haven't checked out the New Orleans selection but that is a city rather than in the "back country." Is SWR really as popular as my eyeball observations lead me to believe?

I rarely see pipe smokers on the street in Boston and most of my trip was spent on the open road so I didn't see any pipe smokers then. I know PA is the best selling brand but from what I've seen SWR is the most commonly sold. I'm from Connecticut and the pipe tobacco offerings are just as slim as they are in Boston. I'm not used to seeing any of these behind the cash register so I'm curious. What's usually available out there beyond New England?

Do the members of this forum regularly smoke these mass market blends or do you go to a tobacconist?

I'm moving to New Orleans next month so I want to know if I should be stwitching to PA, SWR, etc or if I should look for a well-stocked B&M. In Boston, I go to L.J. Piretti and buy the house blends but I think I might be spoiled. What's out there and what's best?

Thanks. I worry that I may be in for tobacco shock. I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I smoke SWR daily . I just came across Century brand natural and its a bit better than SWR to me . The SWR aromatic is real nice as well and I smoke it weekly I guess.I also smoke cherry blend monthly or so . Good ol American blends !!!

3. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I'm in upstate NY, and although I don't find any shops specifically for any type of smoke the local Rite Aid carrys PA, CH, CB white and gold and BR. along with a few Grabows and MM cobs.

There's a KinneyDrugs just up the street a piece that sells about the same in pipes but only have Smokers Pride tobacco. Whiskey, vanilla, and cherry. Both seem to have filters and pipe cleaners.

I think CH is my favorite of what's available, but the PA's a few bucks cheaper so I usually go with it with both being so close in taste...to me at least.

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

The American Classics will definitely be a step down from L. J. Peretti house blends in my opinion and a real adjustment for you, should you try them and I would recommend you try Carter Hall and Prince Albert first, welcome to the south, Louisiana is also my home.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

WHK, I think Marc is right here.... if you've been smoking confection-grade, specialty tobacco, moving to a "drugstore" brand may or may not work out. It depends on your tastes. Certainly for the 2 or 3 bucks a pouch, those blends are worth a try.

I have the opposite situation - tobacco is so heavily taxed that "premium" tobacco is hardly any more expensive than "cheapo" so I buy only what I know I like.

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

I have tried several of the L.J. Peretti house blends and enjoyed each one, they are top shelf! Blend 333 comes to mind.

7. Whalehead King

Marc: Everyone says welcome to the South when i tell them I'm moving here. I certainly feel welcomed. Good people. My New England nature wouldn't even be to tell someone like me the time. You haven't gotten my hopes up on weaning off Piretti house blends though. New Orleans is as old as Boston, give or take a few years, so I'm hoping to find a similar style tobacconist here. I like the Granger tin though but that doesn't seem to be a top seller. You should't buy tobacco just for the packaging though. At least not the second time.

Unforgivin: Your locations states you're a New Englander. I'm from Connecticut, a Nutmeg Yankee. Upstate New York is not New England. :whistle: That said, Nutmegger to Knickerbocker, thanks for the advice from one pipe smoker to another, a fraternity that doesn't have boundaries.

Sasquatch: I have to say, it's been a revelation going South where the taxes are less onerous. I'm tracking cigarette prices because they're a more handy barometer. A pack of smokes costs less than half south of the Mason-Dixon Line. I guess that's "cost of living."

Ruffinogold: I'm in favor of SWR. Everything about it pushes the right buttons for me. I just have to try it. I've read the reviews and I did really see it for sale just about everywhere I stopped in out of the way hamlets. I have to give it a try once my stash runs out.

Thanks everybody.
    Matthew "Whalehead" King

8. Roddy

Roddy Member

I used to not care for SWR but now it's hard for me to go more than a couple of days without it.

I'm curios as to what people have to pay elsewhere. I put out $22 a tub for it. It's slightly cheaper than CH and PA here. Except in pouches. In pouches it's almost a dollar higher than PA and CH. :jig:

9. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I don't know about New Orleans but across the Sabine in Texas we typically see more CBW and PA in stores than some of the OTC blends.

You will enjoy Louisiana. It is very, very different. Take in all that you can while you are there.

Speaking of differences, one thing I still get a kick out of when I am in Louisiana is seeing hard liquer for sale in all the convenience stores. That and drive thru daquiri joints where you can pick up any size daquiri you could want from 8oz to a gal. And in 52 flavors. Cutting down on drinking and driving and having drive thru daquiri bars just seems to contradict one another. Well, anyplace other that Loosy-Anna.

10. Whalehead King

Glenn, it seems like I'm on another planet compared to New England, let alone just one state over. I still can't wrap my mind around the concept of a "go cup" let alone smoking my pipe in a bar or at a patio table. The license plates call Louisiana a Sportsman's Paradise. it's a smokers' paradise too compared to what I'm used to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.