Matches or lighter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

limpinghawk

I tried using both, and to me a wooden diamond kitchen match is far superior to a lighter.

Just wondering how many others would rather use a wooden match?
I know that some say using a match outdoors is a problem,
it never was that big of a deal for me back in the day.
All you had to do was to hold the match so the flame was cupped with your hand.
Actually even a lighter will give you problems outdoors sometimes right?
How many times have you had to stand with back against the wind type of thing when using a lighter?

This may sound foolish to some, but I notice a difference in flavor of the baccy when it is being lit with a match.
Plus I find it to be more rewarding, and aesthetically pleasing.

Just a thought. :bing:

Cobra

limpinghawk said:
I tried using both, and to me a wooden diamond kitchen match is far superior to a lighter.

Just wondering how many others would rather use a wooden match?
I know that some say using a match outdoors is a problem,
it never was that big of a deal for me back in the day.
All you had to do was to hold the match so the flame was cupped with your hand.
Actually even a lighter will give you problems outdoors sometimes right?
How many times have you had to stand with back against the wind type of thing when using a lighter?

This may sound foolish to some, but I notice a difference in flavor of the baccy when it is being lit with a match.
Plus I find it to be more rewarding, and aesthetically pleasing.

Just a thought. :bing:

Exactly right.:thumbsup:

user0003

Old Boy, Zippo and then what ever I find that will work 'til I get one of the first two working. I have tried matches and just find them to inconvenient to carry or leave laying around.

doskopanda

matches all the way for me, but somehow this few months seemed to have super strong wind all day long..no luck for my matches outdoor *sobs*

limpinghawk

Jesla said:
Old Boy, Zippo and then what ever I find that will work 'til I get one of the first two working. I have tried matches and just find them to inconvenient to carry or leave laying around.
True, but did you ever try the small box of wooden matches?
Same size as a zippo.

I will agree with you that a lighter is a little more convenient, but 'to me',
that is about it.
For me, it is about the process more than the convenience.
With a match you have to open the box, take out a match, strike it etc.
a lighter (which I do have a zippo BTW), is certainly easier.
But I don't know, there is something about slowing down even in just lighting the pipe that I find rewarding.
But that is just me, I don't expect everyone to be as I am, for diversity is what gives life...well, .... life.

limpinghawk

doskopanda said:
matches all the way for me, but somehow this few months seemed to have super strong wind all day long..no luck for my matches outdoor *sobs*
Yeah I know what you mean about the wind, it does put a little bit of a damper on using matches, but it is part of the challenge for me, a sort of game in which I am going to get this damn thing lit....Arrrgghh.

But it is more of the flavor also that I find to be better, or maybe I just think it makes the tobacco taste better, a mind game.
I guess I just grew up in the era of everyone using matches.
When you went to the store, they automatically gave you a book of matches.
Nostalgia maybe?

Stan41

I actually prefer book matches over everything else, but I will use whatever is at hand if I can't find my book matches.
Stan

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
limpinghawk said:
...I find it to be ... aesthetically pleasing. :bing:
That's about it for me. I usually have a box of kitchen matches on the back porch. When I sit out there in warmer weather I usually like the "puff/flare puff/flare puff/flare" thingie using a wooden match to light a pipe. It reminds me of something old-timie I can't put my finger on.

Fact is, I'm not on the back porch much. I work and travel a lot so, if I have a pipe in tow, it's easier to carry the Zippo. There's no flavor difference between butane, lighter fluid* or wood/sulfur systems that bothers me one way or the other.

*black Zippo that is. the green-can Ronsonol fluid is pretty intense tasting.

OldAtHeart

I strongly prefer matches, but not exclusively. I'll use my Zippo pipe lighter in windy situations, or when I've only got one hand free.

Rugbysh9

I'm 100% lighter as I never not have one in my pocket and (at least for me) just makes my life easier, inside or out, windy or not, etc...

Mister Moo said:
That's about it for me. I usually have a box of kitchen matches on the back porch. When I sit out there in warmer weather I usually like the "puff/flare puff/flare puff/flare" thingie using a wooden match to light a pipe. It reminds me of something old-timie I can't put my finger on.

Fact is, I'm not on the back porch much. I work and travel a lot so, if I have a pipe in tow, it's easier to carry the Zippo. There's no flavor difference between butane, lighter fluid* or wood/sulfur systems that bothers me one way or the other.

*black Zippo that is. the green-can Ronsonol fluid is pretty intense tasting.
I sort of remember that black zippo fluid vaguely, I'll have to revisit it again.

Lighter, hands down all the way for me. I'm not above putting in a burning ember from a fire to start a pipe either! hahahahaha.

Mr. Hawk! I started trying to learn the guitar last year at the young age of 55! I can make a mountain of chords, I just don't know what to do with them! :) I really need to learn some scales and how to work my strumming hand. I generally sit on the couch and drive my wife insane. Don't play with anyone but myself. I bought a Taylor acoustic and a Fender '69 thinline reissue (semi-hollow body electric). My Dad used to teach guitar. I wish I'd payed attention! You have my utmost respect. I am still waiting to find that D'Angelico New Yorker or Mel Bay model in a pawn shop for couple of hundred bucks! Wilson

Old Mr. Wilson said:
Lighter, hands down all the way for me. I'm not above putting in a burning ember from a fire to start a pipe either! hahahahaha.

Mr. Hawk! I started trying to learn the guitar last year at the young age of 55! I can make a mountain of chords, I just don't know what to do with them! :) I really need to learn some scales and how to work my strumming hand. I generally sit on the couch and drive my wife insane. Don't play with anyone but myself. I bought a Taylor acoustic and a Fender '69 thinline reissue (semi-hollow body electric). My Dad used to teach guitar. I wish I'd payed attention! You have my utmost respect. I am still waiting to find that D'Angelico New Yorker or Mel Bay model in a pawn shop for couple of hundred bucks! Wilson
A D'Angelico New Yorker for a couple hundred bucks....:XD:

I had such a great life being a Musician, it was a lot of fun that's for sure.

Why don't you just pick up a couple of Blues Albums,,
(albums, now I'm showing my age), and just play along with them.
That would be the best on line advise I could give.
This will develop your ear training, your music appreciation training,
and also your right hand rhythm method. :cool:

Smoker99

I recommend using a soft flame, but that is just to prevent possible damage to the pipe rim. The light should not impact flavor at all, but the match, or the zippo probably has the most potential to do that if you are not careful. I use an IM Corona Old Boy most they time. Some rare occasions, I use a Xikar torch on OomPauls near the bottom of the smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.