MB Navy Flake / MB Navy Mixture

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Badcompany, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

Hi Forum,
    Are theses two the same blend.

User4408 likes this.

2. Waino

Waino Active Member

Both are flakes, basically same tobacco (Va, Burley and Black Cavendish), but Navy Flake is flavored with rum and honey. Mixture Flake is not flavored. Navy Flake is introduced 1965 and it is quite good. I haven´t tasted Mixture Flake yet.

psquared and FlatbushPaul like this.
  3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

They are similar, but as Waino said the Navy Flake has rum added as a flavoring agent, It also has a slight honey flavor to it. Misture Flake, on the other hand, I think has a a stronger honey flavor. (Really, I think MacB uses mead, which is a traditional Danish spirit made from fermented honey). Of the two, I like the Mixture Flake better. Mixture Flake also comes in a ready rubbed form called Scottish Mixture, and I kind of like that version better. However, the Navy Flake is awesome and it ages really well.

MacB Old Dark Fired is by absolute favoritest MacB Flake... hell, it's my favorite flake of all. It's like Navy Flake on steroids. It's got a deep, rich flavor very reminiscent of Navy Flake, but darker and with a whole lot more nicotine in it.

psquared and Stormy like this.
  4. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

Hi Waino,
    I think you are getting mixed up, Navy Mixture is not a flake it is loose cut.Are you thinking of Mixture Flake which is the same blend as Scottish Mixture.

5. Waino

Waino Active Member

Probably just mixed up. I haven´t smoked Mixture, just heard about it.

[​IMG]

jdto likes this.
  6. User4408

User4408 Member

No, they're not the same. I smoke a lot of Mac Baren blends, and would say that Navy Flake and Navy Mixture are very different. The two have noticeably different cuts, flavors, and aromas.

Navy Mixture is fantastically complex, with a wide array of component tobaccos which give it a rich and varied flavor. The character is similar to that of Plumcake without the rum. In fact Navy Mixture is largely a non-aromatic version of Plumcake, i.e. minus the rum and latakia.

Navy Flake is much simpler and one of the easiest flakes out there to smoke. It has a noticeable Virginia flavor, but burns easily due to the high amount of burley. I find it to be a lot plainer than Navy Mixture, but still quite tasty.

RTOdhner likes this.
  7. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer Member

Navy Mixture, in a tin, is simply an awesome tobacco from Mac Baren. Just great. One of my favorites from MB.

8. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

+1 RTO, that and Solani ABF

RTOdhner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.