mcbaren mixture

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by rikowrites, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rikowrites

rikowrites New Member

I have smoked Mc Baren mixture for two decades since it is my go to smoke. I also like Va/Per blends. Mixture is a blend of more than 30 tobaccos that have been enjoyed for 50 some years. It has a pleasant tin aroma and stays lit quite well. It stays consistently flavorful throughout the bowl ---without one predominant tobacco. It is a light aromatic with some casing. Try it if you haven't !

2. mhnd Al

mhnd Al Member

I tried vanilla and cherry Mac barens, and on the way to try the navy ( I got no idea of its taste ), and then I'll take the mixture.
    Soon enough ;)

3. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I smoked nothing but Scottish Mixture (as it used to be called) throughout the 70s. A person used to be able to get it in a pouch at the local drugstore (along with Balkan Sobranie and Brush Creek, but nevermind). I've had some recently and it's still the same, as far as I can tell. One of the few that doesn't become completely ghastly at the bottom of the bowl.

Burley really brings me down lately, so I don't keep any Mixture around-- I'll always have warm memories of it, though.

4. Wydeboi

Wydeboi Member

I like the McBarren Golden so I think I should give the mixture a try, thanks for the tip.

5. Wicklow

Wicklow Member

This was the first good pipe tobacco I had ever had, I was (and still am) in love with the stuff. I admit it gave me a fierce tongue bite but I made my way through that first tin and still enjoyed it. It taught me how to properly smoke a pipe and was a great learning experience. I always have some on hand and have many fond memories tied to it.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The last Scotish mixture I had was when I finished a 5 lb bag .. if that tells ya anything . It's a killer smoke . The room note is perfect . The burn is perfect . And as you say it's consistant over a bazillion years . Shortly after I finished that last bag I fell back into burley . It's one of the great blends

7. Brian

Brian Member

I like MacB Scottish Mixture. Another similar blend (in my mind) is MacBaren's Symphony (aka Harmony) blend. I think I like it a little more than Mixture. It has more VA in it.

8. sakis

sakis Member

Hi all,
    Today i buy a tin of that mixture and when i open it i just smell the tomato ketchup .I don't know why these tobacco give that smell.
    So after that i fill a ball and the smoking was very nice .
    Liked it but i am thinking of the next time i am planning to open the tin again.
    Bad Smell.But nice smoking aromatic blend.
    What else to say.
    I think i will smoke it till the end but i don't think will buy again.Maybe after few weeks will update if something change about it.

9. cmw00

cmw00 Member

Definitely doesn't give me a ketchup smell like McClellands. I thought Mixture smells very sweet and tobaccoie. It's probably my favorite blend at the moment!

10. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I love MB blends, almost all of them. Has anyone tried their The Solent Mixture? It is a wonderful blend you don't hear much about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.