McClelland Aromatics

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by powell0892, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Was just curious of what other people thought about them, such as mellow mack, capt. cool, easy street, town topic, etc....
    Thanks for any input gentlemen

2. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

I hear that Red Cake is pretty good,

3. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I wouldn't classify it as an aromatic. They call it an English Virginia so it may have a slight top flavor which I can't detect, but its a good uncased VA, IMO.

4. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I've tried both mellow Mac and red cake and wouldn't class either what I would call aromatic.
    Both were recommended by the tobacconists as aromatic but I found both a little bland and too mild.
    Nothing stood out as a special. I like that strong smelling smoke that drifts up your nose and around the room.
    I do like their frog Morton though and will try the blend that contains some oriental, fmott I think. I like the smell when it's smoked slowly and not too hot. This is something I have learnt here. Most tobaccos to me when puffed too quickly taste like crap or burn your tongue and mouth.
    My taste buds could be cooked though as I like hot stuff like curries and chille. If it doesn't make you sweat then it's not hot enough!
    You sound like your looking for a decent aro. I have been experimenting for Years without much luck. I must say this forum does open your eyes or nose to different things. I am now beginning to discover that you don't need an aromatic blend to give you the taste and flavor that you think an aromatic blend will give.
    Mmm.... Does that make sense?
    Try lots of different things even if you think it may not be to your liking you may be surprised.

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

McClelland's aros tend to have a lot of humectants.

dp

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Agreed - I find them a little rubbery.

One tobacco that I've kind of grown fond of, and I think it's a McClelland product, is the Benjamin Hartwell Chesdin Mixture. It's a little like frog morton - sweet and smokey, but it has a topping of some kind. It's very easy to like. Not sharp or ashy.

I like one bowl of all the ones I've tried - town topic etc, but I get sick of them real fast for some reason.

7. ted

ted Member

RUBBERY...as in a Goodyear Wrangler?....Maybe a Firestone ...Michilin? What sir...is rubbery?... ted

8. thomas

thomas Member

I am smoking Holiday Spirit 2009 right now, and its not incredible but its not terrible. Still rather have a bowl of Sherlock Holmes personally.

-Thomas

9. grga

grga Member

Town Topic is Ultimate Number One Aromatic Tobacco for me!

Great Basin Ben likes this.
  10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Their # 2000 .. Fragrant matured cake is really top notch ... not overdone w/ aro and very soft . Reccomended

Rodfather likes this.
  11. JDev84

JDev84 Member

red cake isnt really an aromatic. there might be a light cherry topping, but its hard to pinpoint with the tongue. great stuff, just got another pound

12. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Wow... if Red Cake has some cherry topping, then I must secretly like cherry topping.

13. user2453

user2453 Member

I'm bumping a really old thread and I apologize. Red cake was my first pipe tobacco and was recommended to me by an experienced pipe smoker. I was told it was classified as a straight Virginia. I don't have any good experiences with aromatic tobaccos, the atladis blends I tried were chemical tasting. But point me in the direction of a good mildly flavored aromatic and I would try to like it. The red cake was a good recommendation, aro or not it's a nice smoke

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Since you appear to be talking about their tinned Premium aro's, I thought the ones I tried were ok but nothing special. Tastemaster and Easy Street were slightly better for me than Town Topic or Best of Show (Best of Show has the best tin aroma I've ever smelled!) and Holiday Spirit was profoundly awful. But that's just my opinion. The funny thing is that I remember when McClellands came out with their bulk aros to compete with Lane's for pipeshop business. Their selling point was that they were of better quality... less goopy, drier, cooler, didn't lose their flavor, etc. To this day, I find no merit to such a claim.

Now as Ruff says, their bulk #2000 could qualify as an aro and it's excellent.

15. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

+1

16. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I've tried Pal o' Mine, Mellow Mack and the Rum Town Topic [silver bag]. They smoked well for me, burned clean. McClelland uses good leaf.

17. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Town Topic gets the thumbs up from the ladies :th1:

18. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

I have them all, and they are all pretty good. Right now Capt Cool is my favorite of them all. Think Captain Black white with a little mint, and a little more finesse. Every one of them is worth a try though.

19. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Only one I remember trying is Easy Street. Interesting walnut flavor, but it was all just a bit too sticky for me. I probably won't buy another McC aro any time soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.