McClelland Blackwoods Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BradNTX, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I like a range of tobaccos from aromatics, to English to Virginias, and yes, now even Burley. I tried something new this past weekend, and I'm not sure what to think of it. I cracked open a McClelland's Blackwoods Flake and thought the tin smell was pretty nice. I pulled a bowl out and let it air out for about 30 minutes on my table. I packed my MM Diplomat and lit er up.

I was pretty surprised at how strong the flavor was. It reminded me vaguely of McClelland's Cajun Special that I smoke regularly. CS is a little smoother and has some softer tones mixed in with the spicy, whereas the BWF hit me full on with strong, spicy flavor.

I smoked only one bowl, and am not sure if I should give it another try, or let it sit for a few months before giving it another try. I've seen BWF mentioned many times on this site, so I know there are a lot of you that like it. What do you usually do? Age it? If so, for how long? Also, how do you usually pack it?

I love the Cajun Special, which has a lot of the same components. Just don't know what to think of this BWF yet.

2. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

I've smoked one tin so far and have another in my cellar (cupboard). It's one of the most pungent blends I've had so far and I remember the last bowl being as tangy as the first :thumbsu: Have no idea what aging will do for it.... :cheers:

I call it BBQ Flake. Good stuff but not something I plan on stocking up on.

3. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

I love it. I'm down to only two tins left in my cellar - one from 1999 and one from 2000. Aging mellows the tang, GS.

:thumbsu:
    -- Carl

4. hagbard

hagbard Member

I just got into some of this in the box pass. There was some talk there of it tasting like BBQ sauce. I do agree that there is an underlying BBQ sauce note to it but it wasn't overpowering. At this point in my life it's nothing I'm going to get again. Maybe it had a little age to it since the tang wasn't overpowering like some blends I have tried fresh. You know,come to think of it, it might just be a VA that doesn't turn me off as much as others so maybe I should stock up on some and let it become friendly with the rest of the tobacco in the basement for a couple years. Before smoking it I read reviews on TR talking about the robustness of the stoved VA. When I smoked it I though to myself, "Robust my ass!". Maybe I was taking it out of context and, for what it is, it really is robust.
    It just didn't lay me out, either with he flavor or the vitamin N.

5. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

That's good to know Carl. I think I'll just push it to the back of the cupboard and forget about it for a few years. I enjoyed it and hopefully will enjoy it even more when it ferments a while longer.... :velho:

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Blackwood Flake is a stoved Virginia by McClelland, right?

I love Cajun Special, also by McClelland. It has a stoved Virginias, lemon Virginias and Cajun Black. Could I get some bulk lemon Va and some bulk Cajun Black, rub out the BWF and mix it with the others and get something similar to Cajun Black?

I think I'll either have to go this route or trade the tin off to someone for something else.

What do you guys think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.