McClelland Orient aging?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by bassman313, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassman313

bassman313 Member

So, I picked up some McClelland Orient 996 Vintage 2007. Here are my questions:
    1. Is this actually made and tinned in 2007? and,
    2. If I wanted to age further, am I better off leaving the tin alone, unopened, or mason jarring it.

Thanks, Randy

2. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Always leave the tobacco in the tin if your trying to age it. Mason jars should only be used after a tin has been opened to smoke or when buying bulk blends.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Leave it sealed unless you wish to smoke it now. Then you'll really know whether you like it or not. Aging usually only makes it better especially where Va's / Va Blends are concerned. Some toby needs a bit of "aire" time once opened and breathe off the gases of fermentation. Sometimes fresh opened tins wreak of some of the most foul odors you've ever come acrossed, but after a couple of weeks of open time, the odor dissipates or the "bad" odor leaves and it's replaced by the toby smellz.

1. Yes, more than likely. Many B&Ms have toby on the shelf for years since they have to buy so many or so much and it may have been ordered for a customer who changed their mind or just wanted 5 when the B&M had to order 25 to get their wholesale or even better pricing. 2007 sounds like a "highly likely" situation. I picked up some at a clearance sale 50% off deal. It was at a local B&M where a pipe club used to belong to but the club vanished, so the B&M sort of got stuck with a bunch of tins that were the club's fav but not so for the regular local patrons. Some of the tins I picked up dated back to '02. From what I understand, another local B&M came in and bought out all of one particular brand (i.e., Peterson) so they didn't have to pay the State "stocking tax" and now is selling it as "vintaged peterson" aged 7 years or more...... and at a premium price above MSRP. I don't have any Peterson toby.

Enjoy!

:thumb:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

2. If you don't want to smoke it or try it, then leave it sealed. But how will you know whether you want to run right out and get more? So open it, try it, jar up the rest. 996 tin description says it's RTS (ready to smoke) now but will age perfectly..........so who am I to contradict them, I haven't tried it yet let alone have a tin in my cellar......yet!

4. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Most "vintage" or "special edition" blends are unique compositions made from the baccy available in that particular year. So yes, I would agree that the vintage 2007 was probably tinned in that year.

If they were to tin any this year (2010) they probably would not have enough baccy available to reproduce the exact same flavor. That is, unless they warehoused several hundred pounds of the stuff back in 2007 and tin them up each year.

5. bassman313

bassman313 Member

Thanks for the wisdom guys. So I opened it, naturally. Hard not to isn't it? Pretty damn good in my rhodesian. Thinking of getting more and just leaving it though. Oh darn, gotta buy more 'baccy!

6. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I really doubt it was tinned in 2007, as the major etailers get new shipments of it from time to time. You'll see it go out of stock and then a few weeks later they've got another dozen tins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.