McClelland VA #25

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Kiowapipe, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

It won't friggin' burn. I've tried it dried, I've tried it wet; I've packed it tight and packed it loose. I can't get it to burn worth a damn. Anybody else have this problem? I've had good luck with #s 22 and 27. Blackwoods and Dark Star can be tricky to get going, but that's because they're such dense flakes. #25 is just a regular old loose ribbon, but for the life of me I can't keep it going.

2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I got some Dark Star... as far as I can tell, it would double as a refractory material to line kiln walls :)

3. Capt

Capt Active Member

K, take a few flakes (enough for a few bowls), rub them out, then microwave on a paper plate for about 8 seconds and let it cool. Load it up and give it a try.

Wicklow likes this.
  4. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Yep, nuke it. Works wonders on some of the harder to light blends. Dwaugh, Dark Star... microwave...

Capt likes this.
  5. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Thanks Cap, but #25 is a ribbon. I guess I could try the microwave thing, but I've already tried it pretty well dried out. Just seems like it's cased with something that doesn't want to burn.

6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I like placing Virginia tobaccos under a desk lamp to dry best, I also find most McClelland Virginias light easier if you toast the top several times first before applying the true light and this is best done by using a soft flame lighter with a few slow draws at a time (let it go out, repeat several times) until well toasted, tap it down smooth, then light.

Scotty Cameron likes this.
  7. Capt

Capt Active Member

My bad, I had #27 in my head........

8. dwaugh

OK, I just nuked some... Is it supposed to be dryish when I'm finished? It still seems rather moist.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Give it a good charring light, then set the pipe down for 2-3 hours. Return and fire it up. Excellent stuff.

Wicklow likes this.
  10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Put a fire over one end of the pipe, and suck on the other end. Hope this helps.

Scotty Cameron, Wicklow, BigJ and 5 others like this.
  11. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

David,
    Dark Star is a very special smoke. Deep molasses flavors. A lot of depth and it really develops down the bowl. I have never nuked it. I just let it dry out. I like to rub it out, then let it dry. It is well worth the trouble though. It's a steller smoke!

Paul

cobbsmoker likes this.
  12. dwaugh

Maybe I didn't air dry it long enough when I have tried before, I figured I would give the microwave a try since it was suggested. I just don't seem to understand straight Virginias tobaccos.

I tried to follow jpbergs advice, but I think I picked the wrong end, unless Dark Star is supposed to taste like burning rubber :msty:

13. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

That's an easy mistake to make. I strive for clarity, but don't always succeed.

dwaugh likes this.
  14. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

You guys are funny! :beck:

Anyways, I ran into the same difficulty with some of the McClelland tobaccos.

I find this to work pretty well for me, even though it takes a little more patience. I also try to avoid microwave use with my tobaccos -- but I'm just weird like that. :bag::ohyh:

...And this :xd:

~Aaron

dwaugh likes this.
  15. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I have had a hard time with #25 and Blackwoods Flake. But boy howdy when you do get that stuff to burn, it is sure worth the effort.:)

dwaugh likes this.
  16. dwaugh

After 15 or 20 "charring lights" I've gotten it to burn for one or two puffs. OK, it wasn't that bad and the flavor is really good, next time I will try the microwave and then let it sit in the sun for a few weeks:)

Rewster66 likes this.
  17. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Yes, I just nuke it for 8-10 seconds or so and then let remove it and let it sit for a minute or two. When you get it dialed in the flakes will be dry but not crumbly.

I have just set it out to dry and have put it under a lamp. The problem I have is when the humidity is 80-95% like we have alot of the year, you ain't drying out nuttin. A half hour sitting out in my closed up pickup or a few seconds in the microwave do the trick for me.

Wicklow, Rewster66 and dwaugh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.