McClellends Blackwoods Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by rphillips, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rphillips

rphillips Member

Well I was going to wait till I had smoked more than 3 bowl of this before developing a real opinion but I'm very impressed by it. Good thing too since I got a little over eager and ordered 400g of it not knowing if id like it. My first flake though looking at other flakes I wonder if it should be catagorized as broken flake. Still I have enough good sized flakes in there to try some different packing methods. So I'm now 3 and a half bowls into this, loaded into a Patriot Cob via folding, Rubbed and 3 layered, and rubbed and frank method. All three methods great smoke. Moisture from too moist to a little moist to almost too dry and now perhaps just right, and all great smokes. Have yet to have any bite too, even when I suddenly found I had been sucking on it like a hungry baby on his mamas tit, pipe too hot to touch and still cool smoking. Every puff delivers a light sweet flavorful smoke that makes my toung yern for more. Aroma seems light and pleasant, no complaints from the girlfriend, her mom, or the neices and nephews, and it so far seems an aroma that doesnt linger either. It also goes great with a Henry Weinhards Root Beer. Could it be ther perfect smoke???? Well of the tobys Ive had so far it sure is. Cool biteless smoke even when wet and hot. Nice sweet flavor and no complaints of the smell. This is one I'll be stocking up on. Any thoughts of how this might cellar? I sure would like to put some away.

2. cathain

cathain Member

I've been reading reviews of this recently and heard a lot of good things.
    It will most likely be in my next order. Thanks for the review.

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

R, if you like the zip that the tobacco has right out of the tin, then you probably shouldn't cellar for more than 5 years, I've got some that's really old, and while it's still lovely, it really, really mellows with age.

4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Thanks for the review. I've been wanting to try it.. On the list of TTT

5. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Blackwoods Flake is one of my favorites. Wonderful stuff.

6. rphillips

rphillips Member

I see, so that sweet ness dies with the aging, is that it? Hmm... I do like sweet things but Still I could see where maybe some of the other traits of the tobacco could come out after the sweetness mellows.

7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Well, I wouldn't say you lose the sweetnes, more the "tang" for lack of a better word that the stoving gives it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.