McCranie's Red and Virginia Woods

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by maddis, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddis

maddis Sales Account

Are these the same baccy? I've been on a virgnia adventure for the past year and McCranie's has come to be a staple. Apparently it's pure red virginia.

Virginia Woods looks, smells, and smokes almost identically, but the tin says it's a mixture of reds, brights, etc. (no mention of perique or anything else). Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the two and they're both made by McClelland.

2. maddis

maddis Sales Account

If there is ONE difference, VW has a tin smell that suggests a hint of flavoring (vanilla, etc.). But it's faint.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I think you nailed the diff. VW is supposed to be mildly cased and the McCranie is more natural.

Then again, I've never smoked either one so I'm just going off what I recall reading.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

Virginia woods has a vanilla-y (or something.... ) topping, and there's a, well, woodsy, note in it that I don't detect in pure reds. A kentucky or something? I dunno. I think the base tobacco being a McClelland's-processed red virginia lends a lot of crossover, but they are not the same.

5. maddis

maddis Sales Account

What else would you folks suggest for a pure red, McCranie's being the only one I've tried? Everything else is a blend or there's a dash of perique, or tabasco, or honey cheerios, or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.