McCranies Red Ribbon vs. McClellands 5100 Red Cake.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Russell Hartman, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Just a quick question. How many of you that have had the chance to smoke either of these find them pretty darn close as far as smoking qualities and flavor?
    For me they seem pretty darn close--or is it just me?

2. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Haven't tried MRR, but 5100 is the best VA, yet.

It's good that you can go with one or the other ... providing you like them!

3. Russell Hartman

Ive tried them both--like both but kinda had thoughts of both being so close to one another. NOW--I am NOT taking away nything from either as both are Virginias that I REALLY like alot. Just thought that perhaps others might also think they are pretty darn close to one another as far as Red Virginias go.

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I think they are very close and both are very good Red Virginias.

Glenn likes this.
  5. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

If anyone wants to send me samples I will glady compare and report back

6. Prof

Prof Member

I have had both, but it would be an unfair comparison; the MRR had been aged, and I think from the 1983 leaf, an it was sublime. Made me start cellaring VAs in a big way. If you can get some, jump on it.

Mington likes this.
  7. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

I really like both. I have to say that McCranie's Red Ribbon edges out 5100 slightly but I expect it's mostly due to it being more fresh. They are both very good though.

8. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

I agree with you Russell they are very close (and very excellent)

Mington likes this.
  9. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

McClelland's does the blending and packaging for McCranie's tinned blends (and provides most of its bulks). They're probably the same blend, but with Red Ribbon having been aged.

jdto likes this.
  10. Russell Hartman

Yeah--I kinda thought the same thing. For me the MRR has a slight edge over the 5100 for me. Perhaps its the aging thing. I do not know. I REALLY like the Red Ribbon--love the stuff.

Mington likes this.
  11. jdto

jdto Active Member

5100 is one of my top 5 so far. I plan on ageing what I have and getting more for the cellar.

Mington likes this.
  12. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I will put it this way, I am not a big VA smoker, but I LOVE 5100. PipesandCigars has this for 2.80 an ounce for 8 oz or more, but they are back ordered. Does anyone know where I can get this for a similar price? I checked Cup O Joes and 4noggins and they are higher.

Mington likes this.
  13. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Mars Cigars

14. Rick13

Rick13 New Member

? Purchased 2 tins of Red Ribbon loved everything about it but the price... Saw this thread and thought, "I'm gonna try 5100!" Bought 8 oz of 5100...sent 7 back. It tasted like a common cigarette to me. In my opinion, It does not do to compare the two!

15. Terminus

Terminus Member

Thats really interesting, my experience is completely different. I've found 5100 very tangy, medium sweet and flavorful through the whole bowl even with a moderate puff pace. It didnt taste at all like cigarettes to me.

16. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I found them very close and I suspect they are essentially the same blend, with MRR having the benefit of longer aging. It's darker in color and deeper tasting but the essence of the two are so similar to me as to be identical (with the above caveats).

17. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

McCranie's "waits" for particularly high quality Red-Virginia crops from McClelland- that's why RR is not produced each year and 5100 is.

So basically McCranies is the very best Red-Va's available from McClelland, aged a few extra years.

If you have some 1983 5100, you have something similar to 1983 McCranie's (though you won't really know when it was grown).

I have some 2000 5100.
    2000 McCranies tastes better to me. It's sweeter and "softer."

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  18. ChristTiger

ChristTiger Active Member

I've smoked both quite a bit. I prefer McCranies also. A bit more refined. Sweeter and softer, as Spill stated.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    jdto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.