mclelland question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,

I opened a new tin of Tastemanster this morning and noticed some hard wood like pieces. It this part of the tobacco plant ?

Anyways it was a mistake to bring a unopened tin at work thinking that i could smoke right out of the tin. This stuff is sticky as hell, the tobacco is sticking to my fingers. Also this is not a ribbon cut, the tobacco kind of makes me think of a soggy salad lol and the pieces of salad that you cant get with your fork lol. Anyways i tried to light a bowl and it only stade light for 30's and i gave up lol

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

The tough bits are probably parts of stem that got missed during processing and ended up cut and left in the final blend. They will burn and are harmless enough, but they can make filling the bowl properly a little difficult since they are so rigid. I tend to pick them out and discard them.

3. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

What nesta said.;)

David Emond likes this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Tastemaster dries out fairly quickly (for an aromatic) and it produces the taste and end result one would expect from the recipe.

As for the hard pieces, Nesta nailed it.

David Emond likes this.
  5. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Sounds like my experience with another McC aro, Easy Street. Coated with sticky gunk and full of stem and vein. Wasn't my cup of tea- made the average drug-store flavored stuff seem like quality natural leaf.

David Emond likes this.
  6. David Emond

exactly... ill let it dry out and ill try it out one more time if i dont like it then ill put it up for trade hehe

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Don't give up on McClelland aromatics entirely. Holiday Spirit, in my opinion, has about as good a flavor as any aromatic you'll ever find. There are others I may prefer for one reason or another, but I never had a problem with the flavor or the burn quality with that one, and not super goopy either.

David Emond likes this.
  8. David Emond

Maybe i got a bad batch of this blend but before leaving work i opened the tin for about 45 minutes and the smell was giving me a head ache. Im not ever opening up this can ever again lol. Ill try their deep hollow and grey heaven next but i think im giving up on McC just because of this tin.

9. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

If you give up on the aero's just remember that McC Va's are excellent.

David Emond likes this.
  10. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

That would be a huge mistake in my opinion. They have a lot of blends that are fantastic.

David Emond likes this.
  11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

+1

David Emond likes this.
  12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I don't recommend giving up on them. They make some really good tobaccos. If nothing else, try some of their non-aromatic bulks first. Also, if you head to the trading forum I'm sure if you offer the tin of the aromatic you don't want, someone out there who is a particular fan of theirs would be willing to trade you a few samples of various blends they make which aren't aromatic that may be more up your alley.

David Emond likes this.
  13. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Tobacco doesn't get any better than McClelland, especially their Virginias! I cannot speak to their aromatic line for I have not tried any of them. The Craftbury series, Deep Hollow, Grey Havens and Virginia Woods are all very good smokes.

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Years ago when they introduced their aromatic line (back then it was sold as bulk), they touted how their aros were so much better than what was currently available (mostly Lane's). I smoked a fair number of them and didn't see that they were any better. I think they're pretty ordinary - some ok, some not so ok.

15. David Emond

Well im giving this another go tomorrow, Since the 10th of this month my tastemasters has been jared and this past friday i opened the jar and left it open till this morning. At 1st my basement was flooded with tia maria smell and this morning it was almost gone. The tobacco lost most of its stickyness and im sure ill have better results tomorrow morning at work. Anyways i believe in second chances so thats what im doing with this blend. If its still giving me a headache tomorrow then its straight to the garbage.

16. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

If you do decide to scrap it, perhaps mailing it back to McClelland with a note. Might have been a QC problem that they don't know about.
    I've only purchased the one product from them, Frog Morton on the Bayou, and it is beautifully uniform and clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.