1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Meer vs. Clay

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by cherrymaxap, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cherrymaxap

cherrymaxap Member

I've smoked several Meer pipes and like the way the baccy tastes much different. Do Clay pipes smoke the same way? In that they put out a fuller tasting smoke? Thanks for the help and input.

2. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Meerschaum is a very high quality clay with special characteristics that allow it to be used without the need of firing. However, it is still, clay. IMHO a clay pipe that has been properly fired will smoke just as well and impart no additional flavors to a tobacco's smoke, just like a meer does. The thing to remember, however is that regular clay, even fired is not as durable as Meer, which is in itself fairly fragile. Also, regular clay is readily available while Meerschaum is both rare and not nearly as "available" as clay, making Meerschaums have more inherent value.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

One thing you get with a clay that you don't get with a meerschaum is the taste (or feel) of clay on your lips. Meers use vulcanite or lucite stems and clays are generally "of a piece". I don't smoke clays much because I can't clench them as I do other pipes. But I find them neutral tasting for the most part otherwise.

cherrymaxap likes this.
  4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Well stated Darkly!

5. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I concur!

6. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

If you can find a clay with a modern stem you can get a very smokable pipe on the cheap.

7. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Yeah.. thats one of the things I like about some of the clay pipes I've made.. With the river reed mouth pieces, I can chew on them no big deal... lol

8. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I just picked up 2 trad pipe clay bowls and ordered some reed stems.
    Hopefully they will be durable enough to take places to smoke.
    Right now I just smoke my full clays at home.

9. cherrymaxap

cherrymaxap Member

Thanks all!! I was considering getting one but may put it on the back burner for a bit. Have a great day!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.