1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Meer

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by BluesGuy, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

To rich for my blood........but man on man........if I had the cash.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-WDC...154?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb5fe5eea

2. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I have to agree with ya.. to steep for me... but it would be nice..

3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Yep, very nice meer, but too much for my wallet.

4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Looks like that pipe's been smoked a couple times :) The case is nothing to sneeze at, either...

5. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Now that is one sweet old pipe! Love th patina, and some nice silver work, but well beyond my meager budget. Thanks for making me drool all over the keyboard......

6. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Yeah a little to pricey but man o man that is a fine looking pipe!!

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Cannot guess how he came up with that price for a pipe that'd auction for about $100.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Thank you, Moo! I'm flabbergasted myself!

9. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Yeah.......Kind of what I was thinking.......I'd be more tan willing to plop down a c note.......

10. Mister Moo

WDC pipes are a funny thing. They were like the masters of (USA) production pipes for a long time. There are a lot of their pipes around, few of which look special, and they don't command much of a price. They sure made a lot of Milanos and Wellingtons (the beauty of which escape me) and some interesting meers but none of them seem to go for more than $40 or $50, if that. You have to figure their briar is old-old and their geometry is classic but, generally, their grains are pretty muddled looking and the pipes are probably average smokers.

(I have one unusual WDC billiard from 1900 approx. that showed up on finepipes.com, unsmoked, a few years back. It has exquisite lines and is easily the best flake pipe I own. Sam, as usual, didn't give it away but the price was fair and the pipe is really exceptional. I bid on another one well used and very similar to it on ebay a while back but it went for $240 - way more than I was prepared to ante up. I guess someone with deeper pockets than I have knew it was a killer antique, too. I am always watching for another but, in years of looking, these are the only two I've ever seen.)

11. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Too bad that silver doesn't have a hallmark on it so we could see how old it is. I'm wondering if that stem might not actually be amber.

12. dmkerr

It could indeed be amber. However, that alone doesn't drive antique meer prices to the stratosphere. In fact, I have two, one fully colored, that cost me less than 1/3 the going price for this WDC.

And amber is not fun to smoke anyway! Kinda uncomfortable, not to mention fragile.

13. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

That's the truth. I have one meer that has an amber bit and I rarely smoke it. I'm afraid I'll break it. I kind of like the feel, though. It's a smaller bit so it's not uncomfortable really.

14. Mister Moo

15. dmkerr

16. Mister Moo

I have a circa 1930 WDC ornate billiard with an "amber" stem. I like the pipe but hated the bit; had a faux-amber lucite bit made by Floyd Norwood to replace it. Much better. No mas.

17. dmkerr

Faux-amber lucite is the way to smoke it! I just keep the amber for later resale. But it's a good idea to have a stem made so it's easier to smoke and just keep the original locked away.

18. dmkerr

Take a stroll through Ebay sometime and take a look at all the antique meers with no stems. Apparently not enough people shared your (and my!) fear. :ohyh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.