Meerschaum colouring

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by enjoyasmoke, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enjoyasmoke

enjoyasmoke Member

Evening chaps,
    I have heard some reasonable reviews for a tobacco named "Meerschaum" from Rich's. Apparently it's tasty and designed to colour the old meerschaum quickly.
    Now I have got in touch with them using the electronic mail and it turns out that they do not ship to the United Kingdom.
    Has anyone got a good alternative?
    Cheers chaps

2. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Hi. I haven't heard of "Meerschaum" tobacco. I use Margate most of the time. It builds cake in my meerschaum pipe at a very fast pace. I'll say this, it took a year and a half before my meerschaum had any hint of coloring. I believe,the other long time meerschaum pipe smokers will tell you, it takes time and lots of smokes. I don't think anything else can be done to rush the process. Just enjoy the time you spend with your pipe. It will start to color when it's ready.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Hello!

The prevailing wisdom with respect to tobaccos that color meerschaum pipes more quickly is to use something that has a high alkaline content. Virginias tend to be low in this regard, while burleys are high. A good burley-based latakia mixture (probably not all that common in the UK) would work well. Rumor has it that American-style moist aromatics are probably the best due not only to their burley base but also their high level of tar-producing flavor additives. The more moisture that is produced without the use of high heat, the more tars that migrate to the outside of the meerschaum block. High heat will, of course, melt the wax that also assists in coloring.

Take a look at Fikri Baki's pipes (the ones he smokes) at www.bestmeerschaums.homestead.com. Baki smokes flavored aromatics exclusively.

Can someone recommend a good burley-based mixture that is widely available in the UK? I can't think of one, now that I'm on the spot. But anything like that would be a good sub for the Rich's blend, I would think. Once again, my comments are based on conventional wisdom, as there are few known facts with respect to meerschaum coloring and the physics therewith.

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

There is no successful 'quick fix', they colour in different ways, and in different timespans!. I've been colouring this one for about thirty years - it may have stopped now...it's black in parts and still pale around the bowl, but I'm not really bothered! - it's a beautiful smoke...and that's what it's all about...to me!.
    Cheers,OT[​IMG]

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

On the UK Burley front you are probably talking Gold Block as being the most readily available, but it does have some virginia in it. Kendal (Gawith and Hoggarth) does a Balkan Blend at budget price which could be mixed with it to produce the Burley/Latakia type mentioned earlier.

Best as ever

Gerry

6. dmkerr

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Cool meerdesian shown up close on Flikr, Old Ted. I have a lower mileage plain-Jane cousin that is taking color very slowly.

This dublin has been getting caramel around the rim and mottled on the shank over six months of light smoking, vabur and vaper mostly.

The novelty of meerschaum coloration is interesting but, like some, I am interested in only a passing way. If I recall, t-bear posted something (somewhere!) about rewaxing meers which, I assume, lends more color over time. is that right?

8. enjoyasmoke

enjoyasmoke Member

Thank you very much chaps.
    Got a new recipe to try and some wisdom imparted.

9. dmkerr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.