1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Meerschaum or White Briar?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jomodeere, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Hey all,

I received a few more estate pipes from my uncle today and one was what looked to be a meerschaum but I'm not really sure as to if it is or not. It has never been smoked before, the stem is one of those cheap yellow with small white streak/swirls in it, when removing the stem there is a metal part that sticks out from the shank, it has no markings on it, and there was a sticker that was stuck to it that said Austria. The metal thing that sticks out is not removable and it's not the broken tenon thing either.

So my question is, is it a meerschaum or white briar? How can i tell?

Thanks as always everyone!
    Jomo

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

What's the inside of the chamber look like?

Basically, meerschaum is a mineral, and "white briar" is briar that has been painted white (though there is a species of briar that is whiter than regular).

If it's a meer, the chamber will be white inside, as will the airway in the shank. If it's briar.... brown.

3. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

The inside of the bowl is white and it is white in the hole too. Thats as far as I can see though. I cant see down the metal thing though. Meerschaum maybe?

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Very likely. Austria produced some excellent meerschaum pipes before Turkey made it illegal to export raw meerschaum block. Andreas Bauer was one notable Austrian meerschaum producer - excellent pipes.

5. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

You might just have a winner there. If that's an Austrian meer, it "should" be a good one. The stem might be bakelite, which would make it a 50's-60's era piece. A photo would go a long way to resolving your dilemma.....just sayin'...LOL

6. WillH

WillH Active Member

If it's meerschaum you can do a simple test! Wet your pinky and stick it into the bowl. If your finger sticks to the sides of the bowl, then the pipe is made from block meerschaum. Course this only works if the pipe hasn't been smoked! I believe you said it wasn't smoked?

Will

7. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Yes it hasn't been smoked and the sticky finger trick worked! So it is a real meerschaum. Never thought I would get one that hadn't been smoked and is from like the 60's! I recieved 2 of these and really wasn't sure if they really were meerschaum! The other one is real because it is just starting to turn a tad bit brown!

Thanks for the help everyone! :thankyou:
    Jomo

8. telltime

telltime Active Member

Congratulations. Enjoy them.

9. telltime

telltime Active Member

Oh... and when are you goin' to post a pic.?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.