Meerschaum pipes and bees wax

Discussion in 'Meerschaum Pipes' started by Arthur Salmons, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arthur Salmons

Arthur Salmons Member

Someone mentioned up here that you should apply Bees wax to you meerschaum pipes and I was wondering what the procedure is and how often you should apply the bees wax. I looked on EBay and they sell bees wax for various uses and I was wondering if I bought 100% pure bees wax what the process is.

Thanks in Advance

2. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

I bought a block of bee's wax at a craft store. My choice was light or dark. I chose dark. I think it was maybe $10 for a pound. Maybe less.

I've read a lot of different techniques. I melt some chips in a tobacco tin over a candle. Then I use a Q-tip to apply it. Roll the swab tight and seal it in wax first. This keeps loose cotton from sticking to the pipe. Maybe you can think of a better applicator, I won't be offended. Once the pipe is covered, I use a heat gun on low to melt the wax in. Then I use a soft rag to wipe off excess wax while still liquid. You have to have fast hands. Put the heat gun down (watch where you set it), grab the rag and wipe. Then I let it cool and I hand buff it with a soft cotton cloth. I've mainly used wax to try and even the color on older pipes. So how often on a newer pipe? I don't really know.

GANDALF WHITE likes this.
  3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Like a lot of things in pipesmoking - 'you should do...xyz' should really be - 'you could do....xyz':). I've sometimes done the same as a lot of the Turkish carvers do - i.e. - plug the bowl mouth and stem hole, then imerse in molten beeswax for several minutes, the actual time seems to vary with individuals - but isn't too critical. Some times the colour will darken dramatically ( depending how much the pipe has been smoked ) and some will gradually return again to the intensity of colour they were before immersion! - I've even had them end up paler than they were!, one thing I am sure of is the pipe will be cleaner, externally. Nowadays I don't really bother - I just smoke them, I've mentioned before about an old gentleman that I met at the pub some months back, he said he had two meerschaums - and one of them was his definate favorite pipe, I had to look closely when he took it out to proudly show me - as it was so brown that I first thought it was a briar!. He had never put anything on that pipe - just smoked it every day for years!....he said it always smoked as sweet as ever! ( I did establish though - that he was a confirmed Condor man! ):D.
    OT

davidmackv and dmkerr like this.
  4. Stewart

Stewart Member

I waxed most of my meerschaum pipes last night. I use an old tobacco tin and yellow beeswax with a good dollop of olive oil added to make it a little softer.

I melt the wax on a low stovetop burner ( in the oven on 235 works too). Then with the bowl plugged with a cork i submerse each bowl just so that the stummel opening does not submerge. I dip a couple of times and then set the bowl down on a clean rag to dry.

Once dried, i put the bowl in the oven on a divoted piece of foil on 235f or so and watch thru the oven door as the wax melts off. About ten minutes does it.

I then pluck it from the oven and let it cool a few minutes before polishing the bowl with a cotton rag.

Pretty good results.

Shisno and MikeInMaine like this.
  5. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com/storyp.html

6. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre Member

I remove the stem and tenon and then just rub a chunk of bee wax against the pipe. Once I have some smeered on to the pipe I'll set the pipe in front of a small space heater I have (hairdryer would work) and then once its melted and runny rub it in to the pipe with clean hands. Then just a buff with a clean cotton cloth. I found bee wax at a local heathfood store. Cheapest place by far.

7. HowlinWolf

HowlinWolf Active Member

re: heat gun...

Does this mean one of those beasts that will blister old paint right off of wood? You must have to be very careful.

8. HowlinWolf

HowlinWolf Active Member

(repost)

9. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Easiest method for me is using raw beeswax like a crayon. Rub the beeswax on the pipe as the pipe warms up while you're smoking it. The wax melts on, and is self-limiting in how much it will absorb. Finish the pipe, let it dry. Buff off the wax with a good cloth. Don't stress if some bits don't buff off straight away, they will come off, and your pipe will be shiny and coloured.

SalopSt, Highwayman and SidStavros like this.
  10. MeerschaumM

MeerschaumM Member

I've recently waxed my meer. I used a method that I believe I found on these forums. I took Confectioners wax(cooking wax) and heated it with a blow dryer, I then took a few Q-tips and gathered the melted wax(keeping it under the blow dryer) and lightly coated my pipe. I then took creamy yellow beeswax and repeated. It turned out great.

11. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

Do you have a photo?

12. Highwayman

Highwayman Member

Waxed this one tonight. This is the after pic. Using beeswax that is about 10 years old (I keep it with my pipes)
    [​IMG]

SidStavros and BWeist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.