1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

meerschaum smokers

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ted, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ted

ted Member

[attachment=1166:Untitled.jpg]

Here is one that my Father found in a house built in 1909. Meerschaum, amber, gold....best I can tell.

This one is NOT for sale or "give away"... ted

2. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Looks to be still in good shape, but has that antique look to it and i like that. Nice find on your dads part, do you smoke it or just have it to have sort of thing?

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Wow!!! Beautiful burner, Ted.

4. ted

ted Member

Smoke it. About every 3rd day. Meerschaum has never been my pipe of choice, but I owe him.

Meerschaum(to me) has a nasty taste, regardless of the 'baccer. Tried hundreds of meerschaum pipes in my past life at Mastercraft, and only ever found one that I liked.. It "busted" after about ten years.

This one is, and will always be, my only meerschaum... ted

5. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Was it in the house down the road in the front left room under the floorboards? That was mine :whistle:

Nice find and nice meer, a bit of a treasure for you I bet.
    Cheers.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I must be honest - like Ted I've done the meerschaum thing and to be absolutely honest prefer a cob or a Falcon - with the exception of African meers which no serious meer smoker rates - all I can say is "enjoy in goood health for many years!"

Smoke what suits you!

Gerry

7. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Not entirely true Gerry. I have four African meers,and all but one are great burners. Two are Manx Meers, one is marked "Jambo" and "Gt. Britan", the last is unmarked. I consider myself a fairly serious meerschaum smoker...the bride however, considers me crazy........ :startle:

8. WillH

WillH Active Member

Great pipe Ted! It's a keeper with a nice story!

Meerschaum! Whao! Love those pipe!

Better than a Falcon? Absolutely not - they simply don't compare on any level! It's a personal choice thing. 300 years of smoking history says something about the quality of meerschaum as a pipe material. :whistle:

Owned an Africa Meerschaum pipe. There's a reason for their lousy reputation. It's not just me. There were twelve pipe smokers in the office I worked at in San Francisco back in the 70's. We'd get together an talk pipes/tobacco during lunch almost everyday. Most of us bought the African Meerschaum pipes when the arrive at a pipe shop on Mission St. Within a year everyone had gotten rid of the the African Meerschaums and were smoking Turkish meerschaum pipes. That says something....There's true meerschaum and then there's that other stuff. :thumbsd: If you like it - great! In my opinion African meerschaum does not compare to Turkish meerschaum - they are completely different!

There I said it - :eek:hyeah:

Will

9. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I wonder if many people regard Turkish Meerschaum like they do Turkish Coffee: best taste, but too much effort?

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Yes Will I'd agree they are different - to me an African meer lies somewhere between a clay pipe and a Turkish meer and is in a category, maybe even middle ground, of its own. Can't help it though - I just like them!

Best to all

Gerry

11. WillH

WillH Active Member

Gerry,

I was a little harsh.....not excuses.

I like haggis for breakfast - most people don't. :eek:hyeah:

Will

12. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Here's a meerschaum question for you. My briar pipes after being smoked and cleaned with a little whiskey on a pipe cleaner always smell great and taste great when next smoked. My meer on the other hand, Turkish I believe, gets the same treatment but doesn't smell so good it almost smells like the sea, salty like. Is this normal?

13. user0003

Personally, I wouldn't use any liquid to clean a Meer.

14. WillH

WillH Active Member

Jsela, interesting! I clean all my meerschaums with Q-Tips dipped in single malt whisky! I also run a wad of dry paper towel around inside the bowl. Am I screwing them up? I'd like to know.

I only wipe out the shanks and stems with whisky after each smoke - just takes a second. Then rack them to dry for a couple days.

Tas, don't know about your smell. All my pipe smell good no offensive odor of any kind.

BTW, took another look at that antique pipe - what treasure. Absolutely wonderful.....

Will

15. user0003

My concern is softening of the meer. Just a personal thing nothing scientific.

16. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I'm with Jesla on this, never let any alcohol near my meer. Just a napkin to dry ream the bowl after each smoke. Maybe that's one of the factors that affects the speed with which the meers color?

17. WillH

WillH Active Member

You could be right! I don't put any whisky in the bowl - nutten, nadda. I only clean the stem and shank with a little - not a general soaking. Think I'll stop doing the shank that way and only use a dry pipe cleaner.

Will

18. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

My meers get the bowls cleaned with dry pipe cleaners after every smoke (after a couple hours cooling and drying). Aside from that, about once a month I use a almost smooth sand paper (don't remember the grit off the top of my head) on the inside of the bowl to take out what little carbon builds up and use pipe sweetner in the stem....other than that, nothing.

As far as the meer you posted, I might know a really nice dedicated soldier on his way home from Afghanistan that would love that thing <grin>.

19. ted

ted Member

Get your ass home safely. Can't have that pipe, but we will talk about another or two. God Speed... ted

20. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Sweet smoker Ted! :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.