1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Meerschaum?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jomodeere, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Hey all,
    I'm looking in at purchasing a meerschaum because of all the good things heard of them. I just want a plain one to start with just to see if I like it. Nothing too big or fancy. Where would I get the best deal for one online?

Also at my local antique shop, there are a few but they have screw on stems and are broken. There is nothing wrong with the bowl. Just the stem. The lady wants $125 for it and I don't believe it had been smoked out of. Did I mention when I look ed into the shank there were a few small bugs?

This woman also tried to sell me a yello bole vintage for $175.

Have a good night,
    Jomo

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I think I would advise that lady - what to do with her pipes! :eek:hyeah:
    Cheers OT

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

You can post photos but, with a 96% degree of certainly, I believe you need to shop elsewhere. As a rule the only good meerschaum (or pre-AMF Sportster) is a new one. And never shop for pipes where used Yello Boles prices start over $6.00.

Never rule out a pipe with bugs. I have reclaimed some lovely smoking pipes that had some bugs and/or webs in them. :eek:hyeah:

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Jomo, get a meer that's worth keeping AND smoking. Most (if not all) "cheapie" (read as "bargain priced") meers won't smoke as well. Take your time to find a good one. Don't rush....

Can't go wrong with an IMP meer.......they can be had for as little as ~$60-ish.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

+1 on the IMP meerschaum. As far as top quality meers go, these are the least pricey I've found.

Check with www.smokingpipes.com or check Ebay and do a search for IMP meerschaum. There's a seller there that will take offers on his stuff. Can't recall his Ebay name offhand.

Pluses and minuses... smokingpipes will charge a little more but they'll get your pipe to you faster. Kenan (the Ebay seller) will sell you the pipe for less but you'll wait a month for it to get to you from Turkey. If it comes in damaged or gets lost, you'll go through hell getting another. smokingpipes will refund/exchange in a heartbeat.

I've had success dealing with both sellers - no problems.

6. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

For a good quality pipe that will give you years of care-free smoking pleasure, I would strongly suggest either Sinan Altinok Meerschaums HERE, or Deniz Urals site HERE. I have a number of pipes from both vendors, and their quality and integrity are unmatched in the industry.

There are a number of "cheap meer" sites on the web today...most will sell you a pipe that will give you nothing but fits. I know, I've had a few. It's taken me a number of years to find dealers that I can trust, and These two are at the top of my list. With meerschaum pipes the old adage "You get what you pay for" is unfortunately, quite true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.