1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Meerschaum?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by KiwiLindekugel, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KiwiLindekugel

KiwiLindekugel New Member

I bought this pipe at an antique store today. It wasn't a bad deal (Nine dollars!) and it cleaned up really nice. My only question is, is this authentic meerschaum? It looks a little bit different from other meerschaums I've seen but it was advertised as such. There are no markings or logos on the shank or stem. It smokes great but I just wonder if anyone can give me anymore information on it. Thanks in advance!
    Kealan
    [​IMG]

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Hard to tell, but I'd guess it's meer.

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

The colour balance of your picture is a little off......I'd take a guess that it's meer - but moulded, or 'pressed'.
    OT

4. Beale

Beale Active Member

I like that pipe a bunch! I think you got a good deal, Beale.

5. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Whatever it is, if it smokes great for nine bucks, it's a winner!

6. MarkC

MarkC Member

Cool pipe it's a keeper!

7. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Wish the balance were better in the photo....*looks* like meerschaum, but with all the orange, it's tough to tell. I think the stem might be amberite...probably dates somewhere from late 50s to early 70s...I know...quite a range. The patina is atypical. Meers *usually* color along the shank and from the bottom of the bowl up. However, meerschaum is a natural material and there are always exceptions to the "rules". Then too, some manufacturers artificially color the rims of their pipes. This might be the case here.

Whatever....for the price, you got a nice pipe. Hell, if it smokes good, you got a great pipe! Enjoy it in good health.............

8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'd agree, it's a meerschaum. I have a little old meer that was my great-grandfather's, and it has some dark coloration around the band where the shank meets the bit, and I have another old meer with a similar bit (amberite, per t-bear). Any idea where those striations toward the top of the bowl came from?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.